jennyadams

Default Fergusson. Kirkoswald Ayrshire

I have a Quintin Fergusson B.April 1761 as father of David B.03.05.1812 but not too sure if its correct.
    Found a marriage for Quintin 14.04.1808 to Mary Cumming. This would have made Quintin 47 years at marriage and then 51 years old at birth of David. (Didn't find a previous marriage.)
    Have just started to get my head around 'young' marriages and now confused. Does this seem a bit 'old'? Maybe I'm just being overcautious.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Jenny

Is this the info from Family Search? The record will be correct as this information derives from a time with the National Archives of Scotland allowed the LDS to scan the Church of Scotland Baps & Marriage registers. That doesn't, of course, mean that it's your David, or that the QF shown as fathering DF is the one born in 1761. Late marriages did happen, often just after a widower had been left with small children to raise.
    I see that Q & Mary C had 3 girls and 1 boy who they called David, suggesting that Q's father was called David, but the problem with the "naming pattern" is that as soon as one relies on it, one finds that the particular relatives were rebels who didn't use it.

It might be worth downloading the image of the marriage entry from Scotlands People (I wrote a sticky about the site here for those new to it). It's a pay per view site, but the Minister might have incluided more information.

It's worth adding that back then there was no standard register requirement, the Ministers entered what they wanted. Also, many registers haven't survived.

jennyadams

Thank you Leslie. I was very hesitant to use the information so I will go to the SP site. I'm sure it will be used quite often with this lot.
    Searching for Fergus(s)on is difficult enough and I thought it was made a little to simple by finding a Quintin. Cheeky devil!
    Jenny

It's better than James or Isabella!
    I had a quick look at how common it looked (go to Family Search, give location just as Scotland, and only set a time period), and there seemed to be distinct clumps in Ayr, Stirling and Perth, but it's sometimes hard to see the reasoning behind name choices!

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes indeed - wish I had a Quintin!

As you've probably seen, the only Mary Cumming in Kirkoswald on Family Search of suitable age (unless I've missed one) was born 1774 so a reasonable age to be having children in the early 1800s. Of course may not be your Mary and as Lesley said, these old records are far from complete. Looks promising though.

On SP's old parish registers there is a death of a Quinton Fergusson in 1822 in Kirkoswald - that record might be worth downloading too.

jennyadams

Thank you both for the tips. Leslie I'm wondering if I'm incorrect into sticking to Ayrshire. I've been thinking that back in the early 1800's people would not have traveled or moved far from their roots and I set a rough boundary of 20 miles.
    I have joined SP but need a bit of time to get my search queries right. Keep getting 'no result'. I will keep playing and sort it out.
    Also Grisel, I'm still not sure about Quintin,but if so that death sounds good for him if he's the man I'm looking for.
    Thanks,

SP can be a bit fiddle. Did you read my note about using it? It's at the top of the "General Scottish" forum.

People did indeed move around a lot, sometimes permanently, sometimes for visits, and sometime seasonally. For example, one oft west-coast ancestors seems to have met her husband from 2 counties away when on a harvesting trip that the young folk of the area made. They would go south in the summer and then work the harvests as they moved north, getting home in time for their own harvest.

To get an idea of other possibilities, you could go to Family Search and search Quintin, Quentin, Quenten Ferguson, Ferguson for Scotland rather than just Ayr.

Do you know about David's siblings? It would also be useful to hunt them.

jennyadams

Well that wasn't the response I was expecting. I will have to do some reading and get my act together. Silly me, its going to take a bit of a turn around to change my thinking on this one! Thank you very much for your experience and advice, it really is appreciated.
    Next stop the library.
    Yes I do have siblings to chase up so that could help.

Famous for offering help & advice

And consider Ireland too! Northern Ireland is very close and Irish people travelled back and forwards to work in fields and coal mines. I have a whole host of ancestors from Ireland who settled in Ayrshire.

jennyadams

Great, thanks for that! Have just ordered Scottish History books from the library and now going to have to consider Ireland too. These people are really wearing me out! Have had great success today with Crawford and Doak though so can't complain. Getting the idea with SP now and really like it.