Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    adrian56

Default William Henry Greenwood 1876 - ?

Hello my name is Adrian Greenwood and apologise for not introducing myself .
    Where do I start with this?
    Have only just started doing this and thanks to a veritable army have been given a fair bit of help OK will stop wittering on.
    I have the birth certificate of William Henry Greenwood,my Grandfather ( 1876 -1936?) whose father was a Thomas Greenwood and his wife Eliza Greenwood Great Grandparents ( Williams naturally being Welsh lol!) and he was born in Alberbury (Welsh border). According to the marriage certificate William Henry married Winifred Mary Nendick in 1919 in British Columbia ,Canada taking out Canadian citizenry.
    After losing his wife in 1930(?) I suspect he travelled back to the UK with my late father to Liverpool UK have done a bit of looking and found a William Henry Greenwood dying in 1936 aged 64. Regards from a warm and occasional sunny Brisbane Adrian

Hello Adrian
    I have separated your post from this one Here as it seems to me these are a different Greenwood family. So your post is now in the Shropshire forum as a thread of its own.

I have found your William Henry in the 1881 census with his parents in the sub district of Alberbury
    RG11 piece 2645 folio 35 page 8
    Thomas Greenwood 33
    Eliza Greenwood 34
    William H. Greenwood 4
    Sarah J. Greenwood 3
    Samuel E. Greenwood

Can you tell us if you are looking for anything in particular or just putting your family's details 'out there' for others to find in the future?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

adrian56

First of all I apolgise I didn't think of doing that , what I'm trying to get in my little mind is where William Henry went after arriving in Liverpool in 1930 with my dad ?
    I have found them on a passenger list just with them l am assuming that my grandfather would have living relatives in either Shropshire or in the general area that they would have stayed with but as we all know there is no 1931 census so I am unsure of how to pursue this line , and as it is most likely the only people that would be able to help would be of the same generation or if extremely lucky would have passed the information on .
    Regards Adrian

Hi
    The address on the shipping record in to England for your grandfather and father is Sarn Brickworks Westbury, Shrewsbury? Your father is age 4? Do I have the correct record?

Using FreeBMD there is more than one death that could apply. Do you know if William H stayed in the same county?

What about your father's marriage certificate? Any indication there as to whether your grandfather was still alive?
    No help, just more questions.

Christina
    William Burroughs

adrian56

Hi Christina ,
    Yes that is the correct record as my father was born in 1926 have posted on my nephew's Facebook page ( thank god for the internet lol!) so while I'm waiting am going to try the other side of the family the Nendicks now do you want me to start a separate thread or keep it all here as the grandmother was born in Brightside which if memory serves is in Sheffield .
    Regards
    Adrian

Hello Adrian
    How about you keep to this thread re the Nendicks as they are tied up with your grandfather. If needs be we can always separate them later (says she with more confidence in her abilities than is warranted )

Christina
    William Burroughs

adrian56

Hi Christina
    Am still waiting for my nephew to get back to me but as he has a girlfriend at the moment suspect I'm not exactly the priority here lol!
    You mentioned about my grandfather maybe on my parents wedding certificate I strongly doubt this as that would make him mid to late 80's but I could be (and very often ) wrong.
    Do you have any ideas where to look for wedding photos other than family.
    I know there are Brits here on BG and maybe some one might know of a photography studio that was around about 1910 to present day .
    I realize this is looking for a needle in a very large haystack ( forget the haystack might be the entire field ).
    any Suggestions
    Adrian

Trying to find photos and/or photographers is such a (daunting) long shot. If you are referring to photos of your grandfather as we don't even know where he was living it seems virtually impossible. But you could just try putting his name in to a search engine, you never know what may turn up.

Do you have a copy of your parents' marriage certificate? That would be the first place to look for clues.
    Here is what the GRO says you can expect to see on a marriage certificate.

Christina
    William Burroughs

adrian56

Thanks for that Christina it might pay me to have another look at the 1881 census and have a look for any brother and sisters that might pop up in 1911 if all else fails will have to suck it up and get death certificate from the GRO as well as my mums.
    Another train of thought I know for a fact that they ( my mum & dad) got married in Devon I remember seeing a thread with Devon newspapers but the link was broken or I could just try and Google it .
    On my Grandparents marriage certificate (Canadian ) he is listed a soldier I'm not a 100% certain about which army so should I post the thread in the WW1 forum as there are a quite few people with a bit of knowledge in this field.
    Regards
    Adrian

Your parents' marriage is on FreeBMD registration district Totnes. You use those details if you ever want to buy the certificate.

Sarn Brickyard Westbury Shropshire
    Thomas Greenwood 42 Manager b/works brn Pontesbury Shrop
    Eliza Greenwood 41 Flanfair Mont
    Henry Greenwood 14
    Sarah Greenwood 13
    Samuel Greenwood 12
    Herbert Greenwood 10
    All children born Cordiston Salop

So William Henry's father was the manager of the brickworks that William H gave as his address on his return to England in 1930. If alive in 1930 Thomas would have been 82, or did one of William H's brothers work there.
    As you say the siblings need to be followed through the censuses.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast