Starting to feel at home

Default John Handy - artist c1760 to c1835

I have had the marriage certificate of my husband's 2 times great grand parents for a while. They were Elizabeth Ann Handy (1797-1874) and Robert Joseph Larkin (1783-1868) married 15th July 1821. Robert Joseph is described as a widower, but as yet I have not been able to find his first marriage. I have found two children of this marriage and so know that his first wife's name was Sarah.

One of the witnesses for Robert Joseph's second marriage was a George Handy and I guessed....wrongly....that he was Elizabeth's father. I now think that he was her brother having found the baptism for George and Elizabeth Ann at St Andrews Church, Holborn on the 14th September 1814. They were baptised as teenagers. I have also found the marriage of George in 1839 with John Handy, father, portrait painter deceased.

Their parents were John Handy, artist/landscape painter, and Maria. I have not been able to find a marriage for them in London although there are several living in Wiltshire.

I have searched various newspapers online and also art pages for John Handy. I did find an artist mentioned in the Metropolitan Museum but other than the dates and nationality being about right, could not find out any more about him.

Any help would be most welcome

Regards

Pauline

There is a mention of him here. This is from the Internet Archive so if it doesn't open at the right page you need page 113 of Society of Artists of Great Britain 1760-1791. I think this is definitely him, as the address is 7 Middle Row, Holborn, which is the same as the address on the baptism and burial of little Harriott Handy.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Starting to feel at home

Wow...that's brilliant, thank you so much Sue. It proves that I have the correct John Handy in my tree. Now all I have to do is find a marriage and birth for him!!