Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amelia Billings

Neathant

Default Amelia Billings

Miss Billings was Matron of 3rd Western Military Hospital at Neath during WW1. She was presented with the Royal Red Cross Medal Class 1.Does anyone have any more information?

This is another thread on Brit-Gen discussing the hospital at Neath. It doesn't help with Amelia though. What information are you looking for?
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...p/t-32563.html

Christina

Another thread by Neathant related to this topic
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...Hospital-Neath
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are only 3 Amelia Billings (or variations thereof) listed in the 1911 Census who were spinsters:

Amela Billings born 1904 living in Worcestershire
    Amelia Louise Billings born 1906 living in Berkshire
    Maud Amelia Jane Billings born 1897 living in Berkshire

So if you are starting with no information there are not too many options to look at.

SueNSW

Are you 100% certain of your source/s

There was a Miss V A Billing (no s) who was Matron of 3rd Western Territorial Force General Hospital, Cardiff whose name was published amongst a great many others in The Times during March 1917 - "as having been brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War, for valuable service rendered in connection with the war."

All her records though give her name as Volta Ann (or Anne) including this entry in the London Gazette recording her award of the Royal Red Cross Medal 1st Class - which mentions Neath

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...plements/10973

Hope this helps you track down the right person - if this is the person you are looking for there is a brief obit in the Royal College of Nursing Journal - of Dec 16 1922 and some entries on Ancestry and FMP

gasser

There is photograph of her here which she has signed whilst at Neath....https://greatwarnurses.blogspot.co.uk...emembered.html

According to the National Probate Index, Volta Ann Billing, spinster of 4 Royal Park, Clifton, Bristol, died on 22 November 1922 at the Fourth Eden Nursing Home, Torquay. Probate was granted to Charles Peter Billing, alderman of Bristol. FreeBMD says she was 47 when she died.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Neathant

I haven't yet found out where she was born but seems to have spent most of her life in Neath. I found her death record on BMD.

Neathant

3rd western hospital, Neath came under the auspices of Cardiff, hence that confusion. I am told locally that she was Amelia and found a death record which fits but only written evidence refers to Miss Billing.

Neathant

I have seen a group photograph of Miss Billing and it certainly seems to be the same woman. If I can prove this, I would really like a copy of that photograph please . It is for an article which I am researching about the hospital, for our society.

Neathant

It must be the same lady as it is mentioned in the parish magazine at the same time.Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast