CherryPie

Unhappy Irish serviing in the British Army

Hello Everybody
    I have the near impossible task of trying to trace a Mr MURPHY born in Ireland circ 1886/87 who was a career soldier in the British Army (he enlisted in the UK) and served in both World Wars. He married around 1919, had 10 children and died in 1954 aged 67. Can anybody tell me what regiments he might have be recruited to and what barracks had married quarter? - I believe he may have been in the London area in 1939 and one of his sons was named Charles. Needle in a haystack but if I knew more about possible regiments etc during WW1 as I think he would have been too old to see active service in WW2? Needle and Haystack spring to mind!!! :sad
    In hope
    Linda

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,do you have his full name? do you know where in Ireland he was born? do you have him on any census returns? what is the source of your info that he was a soldier ?
    If the source is info from birth certificates,,,,can you give childrens names and when and where born ?

CherryPie

Thanks for the reply but sadly if I had any of those details it would be much simpler. The information came from an agency in New York but I cannot divulge more than that for confidentiality reasons, I hope you understand. The only other information I have is that one of his daughters was named Elizabeth born in London in 1939, we have already purchased all the Elizabeth Murphy's born in London but no link as yet. We have also purchased all Murphy males aged 67 who died in 1954 but by then I suspect he would have been retired from the Army and doing other work to make up his Army Pension so the occupation would have been given as the job he was doing when he died. If I do manage to find out more I will let you know. Thanks again for getting in touch.