Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    evelynchrystal

Default William Walton Clarence Sheppard

This man was born about 1851 in Cheltenham Gloucestershire and married to Sarah Piddington in 1869. He appears on at least two census with his occupation either Actor or Dramatic Artist and I am wondering how I can obtain information relating to his career?
    Evelyn

On another thread, it's been suggested to someone else with a showbiz query that a day pass on "The Stage Archives" (cost 5 pounds) would be useful. Of course, you have to hope that his stage and real names matched!

The 1881 census RG11 piece 3661 folio 34 page 10 has him as a Dramatic Artist and in between and above these two words Painter.
    From personal experience the two are not worlds apart!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you google.co.uk his full name a site is listed where tere appears to be fellow 'family' researchers

evelynchrystal

Thank you Lesley. My problem is that I am in Australia. Would you know of a researcher in the area who would look at this? Evelyn

evelynchrystal

Christina, my thanks to you for your response. I can't find this census on Ancestry, only site I am subscribed to at the present, can you tell me how I can find it, please,Evelyn

evelynchrystal

Trying to do this now, many thanks to you, Evelyn

Hello Evelyn

The Stage is on line Here

To find the census on the new search page scroll down to Explore by Location then click on UK and Ireland then click on England (below and toleft of the map) On the next page click on 1881 census. As you scroll down the page you will see spaces to enter the piece, folio and page numbers. Use the ones I gave you for the 1881 census then click on the yellow Search button. It should come up with the page you need.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

evelynchrystal

Thank you Christina, I must be dumb, I sorted the ON STAGE bit out, may have found a reference but only mabee. Comes out there was a William Walton, I will probably never know if it was him or not so I might have to leave that. I cant work out where the neew search page is so I have had no luck with that bit. I do appriciate how you have tried to assist me and just have to say thankyou.
    Evelyn

Hi Evelyn
    Start off in ancestry by clicking on Search in the top bar. Then under the same bar on the right hand side of the page, in very small letters, it will say either Go To Old Search or Go to New Search depending on which search mode you are in. If it says go to Old Search then you are already on the page for the instructions I gave in my previous post.

The old search will not be available after the beginning of March which is why I gave you the instructions for finding it in the new search.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast