Famous for offering help & advice

Default Thomas VARTY, BELL BROS Mine, Skelton 1916

Filed with Joseph Henry Scott's WW1 Service Records (WO363):

A typewritten letter with handwritten signature, on headed paper (damaged) dated June 1916, from Thomas VARTY, Mine Manager, of BELL BROTHERS LTD, Park Pit, Skelton-in-Cleveland.

May be useful as a signature sample.

Anc****y, SCO, page 13180

angelcake

Any idea how old this Thomas Varty was?

No idea - just that he was the Mine Manager in 1916, so possibly anything from 25y-65y (more likely in the older age-bracket, because he hadn't joined the Army). He may have been "reserved occupation". Or he may have been compulsorily conscripted later.

Jane

He seems likely to be the one at Skelton House, Skelton in the 1911 census - RG14/29166 sch291. This one was 58 in 1911, and the household form has his signature at the bottom, which could no doubt be compared with the one on the letter.

Thomas Varty in the census was with his wife, but they had been married for less than a year. The household included his son and daughter, and also a slightly older step-daughter. Without checking other records (eg births, marriages and earlier censuses) it's not possible to tell whether she was daughter of his new wife or from a previous marriage of his deceased wife.

angelcake

Hi Fullscott

Been doing a bit of research and found him and his father - Varty is such an unusual name so there may be connection somewhere back in time :-)
    Thanks again

L