Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Katemartin

Question Loveridge/Wallis, Peterborough

Hello all,

I've been reading through some of the other Loveridge threads in the hope I might catch a break in finding out more about my fathers family, but nothing rings bells so far.

My father was David Wallis (b. 1950), one of 15/16 children born to William Wallis and Tryphenia Daphne, née Loveridge. Her middle name may have actually been her first name...no-one is very sure :/ She died in 1998 and no-one is even sure how old she was - though I'd have put her well into her 80's at that point. She had a motorcycle accident when she was younger that "messed with her mind" according to people who knew her, and from that point on, most things about her were a mystery.

She had a brother called Ted, and possibly another called Tony...and she lived in Peterborough most of her life.

It wasn't until recently that I knew that Loveridge was quite a common gypsy name...but I'd had clues about my grandmothers ancestry from quite early on. She had a thick, strong accent that my mother and I required dad to translate for us on the rare occasions we saw her, and when asked, my father said she "still spoke like a Romany." We also know my grandfather was frowned upon by her family as he wasn't from a gypsy background. That is pretty much the limit of my knowledge about her and her family.

My dad was separated from the family at the age of 12 and my grandfather passed away not long afterwards (1967). When he was reunited with the rest of his family at least a decade later, he didn't really have much to do with them and never really spoke in detail about any of his siblings, or either of his parents. This information went with him to the grave, as he passed away in August 2012 and my mother and I still do not get along with the rest of the family.

If anyone has any information about either of my paternal grandparents, or knows of anywhere I can get the information myself, that would be amazing.

Thanks for your time,

Kate

Hi Kate,

To go further back with your Loveridge's you really need William and Tryphena's marriage certificate as it will name her father, and her mother's maiden name.
    Cert's cost £9.25 and are available here ........... https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

The details needed to order are: March qrt 1943, Peterborough, volume 3b, page 451. I suggest you give only the name Tryphena Loveridge, [no middle name] also I wouldn't enter William's name as the GRO record says Tryphena married William Wallis OR wallace OR Parker, confusing! it appears he had been known as Wallis/Wallace and Parker. There can be different reasons for this, the marriage certificate may help to know why.

The marriage details are courtesy of ........... https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

*note her name is spelt TRYPHENA, not Tryphenia as you wrote, you must be accurate when applying to GRO or they won't send the cert.

Welcome to Brit-Gen Kate

To get a handle on your Tryphena I looked for the marriage on FreeBMD and it turns up a surprise in itself. Tryphena's name is always Tryphena Loveridge but William's surname is registered as Wallis, Wallace and Parker.

Marriages Mar 1/4 1943
    Tryphena Loveridge married Wallis Peterbro' 3b 451
    Tryphena Loveridge married Wallace Peterbro' 3b 451
    Tryphena Loveridge married Parker Peterbro' 3b 451
    William J Parker married Loveridge Peterbro' 3b 451
    William J Wallace married Loveridge Peterbro' 3b 451
    William J Wallis married Loveridge Peterbro' 3b 451

Do you have this marriage certificate? If not I think it is a must in helping you get any further back with your family.
    I would just order it using Tryphena's name only from the GRO Here

Christina

Snap again almach
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

We can't mention the names of possibly living people on Brit-Gen but if you go to FreeBMD, enter Wallis for the father's name and Loveridge for the mother's name you will get a long list of possible children's names.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

As yet I haven't found a birth registration for her, I searched for Tryphena and also searched for Daphne using a broad time frame of 1910 - 1928. Her name could be mistranscribed - Loveridge often is. If no - one else finds her I'll look tomorrow.

Snap again almach
    We do seem to find the same records often, don't we Christanel?

I'm going to try and get some sleep soon. Catch you tomorrow.

The death registration for Tryphena says she was aged 80 - death registered Nov 1998, giving a birth year of approx 1918.

Hi
    I was looking for a birth 1915 to 1927 but can't see anything. There are female Loveridge births in 1918 in Ampthill Bedfordshire.
    Another in 1923 in Hertfordshire and one in Axbridge Somerset in 1828 but none of these counties abut Peterborough.

Christina
    William Burroughs

janbooth

I don't know whether this helps at all, but Ancestry has on its Electoral Registers a Tryphena LOVERIDGE living with a James LOVERIDGE at "The Van", Spelthorne Surrey in 1930, "Wayside" Spelthorne in 1933, 1935, 1936, 1938 and 1939.

1911 census shows the couple living in a Van at Howe, Hill, Watlington, Oxfordshire, having been married 4 years with no children. James is shown as aged 24, a Farm Labourer, born Stow on the Wold, Gloucestershire and Tryphenea as aged 25 born Hungerford.

Whether they are connected to your Tryphena I don't know, but perhaps something to bear in mind although the marriage certificate for Tryphena is definitely your first step.

Janet

and her mother's maiden name.
    Sorry this isn't true! My excuse - it was late and I was overtired Only her birth cert will give her mother's maiden name, and marriage cert will name her father.

Hopefully, we'll find her birth registration. Here's a link giving what you would expect to find on birth/marriage/death certificates. https://www.
    dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast