Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is the only Prudence Loveridge I can find, her MMN is Loveridge; if she's yours then either a Loveridge married a Loveridge OR her mother was a Loveridge, father wasn't.

Prudence Loveridge, MMN: Loveridge
    Jan-Feb-Mar 1921, N.witchford, Cambridgeshire
    Volume Number: 3b, Page Number: 878

The birth year for Grandads brother has been wrongly listed as 1909 - it turns out its more likely to be 1919 as there is a record with my great grandads name on it for Lewisham on the site you linked me to in your first post
    Kate, see post #14, your Grandad's brother was probably registered in 1919.

How certain are you that the Lewisham birth for your Grandad is the right one?

On https://www.freebmd.org.uk/........... marriages are often listed with the choice of more than one bride or groom, this can make it difficult to establish which groom married which bride. However, if the marriage is pre 1911 (date of the latest online census) it can sometimes be worked out with a little sleuthing, e.g. searching for the male and finding his wife's name. Alternatively, if you are lucky, there may be an online church record of the marriage.

Marriages Sep 1907, Malling, Kent, 2a/1612.

Harry George Wallis, a choice of two brides: Hilda Martin and Elizabeth Jane Tomsett.

Marriages Sep 1908, Cambridge, 3b/1104.

Harry Wallis married either Annie Elizabeth Martin or Grace Caroline Haigh

Your grandparents' marriage cert should help us; it will give father's names and occupations, other info it may contain is the age of bride and groom, and whether their father's are deceased. Also it will tell you the names of the witnesses. Armed with fathers' occupations we may be able to pin them down on census returns to take your ancestry back.

Something worth mentioning is: the Loveridge surname was sometimes, quite often actually, misspelled. And the further back you go the more this happened; the main reasons were illiteracy coupled with accents, if the person couldn't write it would be done for them, but the scribe relied on pronunciation and his interpretation of what he heard.

Marriages Sep 1908, Cambridge, 3b/1104.

Harry Wallis married either Annie Elizabeth Martin or Grace Caroline Haigh
    The above marriage can be found: Courtesy of Cambridge Family History Society.
    19th Aug, 1908, Cambridge, Holy Trinity
    Harry Wallis age 41, widower, Photographer, father Thomas a Surveyor.
    Annie Elizabeth Martin, spinster, age 31, father Charles a Milkman.

Katemartin

I'm not sure in the slightest that the Lewisham entry is my grandfather! One of my aunts tried digging into her past a few years ago and ended up with this, which is information that has been shared today;
    https://www.myheritage.com/person-100...es-bill-wallis
    I can't find anything on his parents on his entry, but at the bottom there is a link to a John, listed as his brother. His entry mentions both Esther, a fathers name and a mothers maiden name as well as a link to the man we think is grandad. All the other entries appear to be (fairly) well documented, including married names and some important dates etc. So I know some of it is right... I just can't vouch for how much!

Again, until I get the certificate it's all guess work and speculation but a lot of the info is adding up so far. I'm going to try and get in touch with Uncle Teds grandson who lived quite locally until recently to see what else I can find out on my grandmothers side...but really, it was the Wallis side I was more interested in at first...but seeing as two of them appear to have married Romany gypsy women, I'm totally intrigued by where this is taking me!

Thank you all again for your help in this one. You clearly all find this as fascinating as I do. I can understand why my uncle (mums side) devoted hours and hours to researching his own genealogy now. Kind of a thrill, and kind of breathtaking. I hoe that's not just me being weird

Katemartin

I also discovered an entry for a Harold Wallis in Lewisham, to follow the entries I found that matched the link above. He was born in 1896 which would have made him around 17 when my grandfather was born. My mother suggested that his wife (Grandads mother) may have perished in the war. Then five years later, John was born to another woman - which would possibly explain the Martin/Parker issue...again, speculation. Don't read too much into that one!

Hi Kate,

I've looked at the link you gave to the family tree, it suggests Tryphena was born Violet Dolly born abt. 1916 in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. The nearest birth I can find is: Doris V Loveridge, Jul-Aug-Sep 1916, Towcester, 3b/15, MMN Peasland. Dolly can be a diminutive of Doris - though why she'd be known as Tryphena!?!? I have helped with Romany research many times and the experience has taught me it was not uncommon for some to be born with one name, and known by another - why, I don't know.

If it is the correct birth, this would seem to be her parents' marriage:

Marriages Sep 1896, Towcester, 3b/53. Edward James Loveridge and Sarah Elizabeth Peasland.

Alma.

This is the above couple in 1911 census.

1911, Sargeants Yard Towcester, all family members born Towcester except Sarah Elizabeth born Far Cotton, Northants.

Edward James Loveridge 36, Tin Maker,
    Sarah Elizabeth Loveridge 33, married 15yrs, 5 children born, and 5 still alive.
    Samuel Burton 31, Horsekeeper
    Florence Jane Loveridge 13
    William Loveridge 5
    Carrie Elizabeth Loveridge 3
    Dennis John Loveridge 7/12

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast