Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Katemartin

Thumbs up

Wow!! I'm totally overwhelmed at the responses, resources and information you have all so kindly discovered! I'm so excited that there are some records out there that I can get my hands on...maybe finding out more about my dad and his ancestry isn't going to be impossible after all

I'm on the tablet at the moment so a proper reply with all the gratitude I feel towards you all isn't possible right now...but I will chase some of those links and the info you've given me and will report back later this evening.

Thank you all so much

Hi Kate,

I've searched and better searched for Tryphena's birth registration but cannot find anything even remotely similar. Her marriage certificate should be a help; as once we know her father's name we will hopefully find his marriage which will give us her mother's maiden name. Experience helping others tells me it wasn't uncommon for Romanies to marry after one or more children were born, if that turns out to be the case Tryphena may have been registered under her mother's maiden name. Infact some of Tryphena's children seem to have been born before she married and have been registered twice, once with surname Wallis, and also with surname Loveridge.

I wonder if there's a clue here............seems rather coincidental.

Marriages March qrt 1940, Peterborough. Esther Loveridge to John Wallis. Could two sisters' have married two brothers'?

I think we're getting somewhere now with William Wallis' ancestry.

Ref to John Wallis married Esther Loveridge: this birth looks interesting - Births Jun 1919, Peterborough, 3b 274, John Wallis, mother's maiden name PARKER (one of the surnames William was entered as on his marriage to Tryphena.

my grandfather passed away not long afterwards (1967)
    Kate, did your grandfather die in Peterborough, and is 1967 definite? I ask as I don't think I found a death reg. I'll take another look, the reg would be useful as it would give an approx year of birth.

No, I can't find a death for William in Peterborough in, or around 1967.

Katemartin

Wowsers!

Update; my mum and I have ordered my nan and grandads marriage certificate, it should be here sometime in early March

I've had some contact from a relative who asked an aunt for whatever information she had about the family tre and we have some intriguing leads;

1. We can't find the older two children on the Wallis/Loveridge list, so what you're saying about them being registered twice is highly likely. They've both passed away now, so I think it's ok to mention them here - William Henry-Charles (Bill) and Brenda L. Cavender, formerly Wallis. They were both born before Queenie (who died ages ago!) yet she is top of the list. Please let me know if it's not ok to mention them here...Bill died April 2012 and Brenda died in the November of the same year....

2. Some of the kids on the Wallis/Loveridge list are definitely NOT dad's siblings. We did some more digging with the sparse info from above mentioned relative and discovered that Grandads brother John did in fact marry another Loveridge - her name was Esther. This is something we had previously not known!

3. My grandfather was William James Wallis. He was born in Lewisham in 1912 to Harry Wallis (of London), and a lady whose first name is not known. Her maiden name was Martin, though. Nice little coincidence as that's now my surname too! Grandad died in Bourne, Lincs on Jan 31st, but no year is listed. Mum is fairly sure it's 67 but may be mistaken - although we were looking in the wrong county before!

4. Going back to Esther...it appears she was born in Chatteris circa 1911 to Joseph and someone possibly called Sarah. Esther had 6 siblings, one of whom is a lady called Prudence (1921 - 2008), who married a man called...Ted (1917 - 2006) Which fits my information! I'm also assuming my grandmother is one of these siblings as she was also born in Chatteris circa 1916 according to my aunt

So it's all sort of coming together!

Does any of this information appear helpful in any way? This is so exciting!

Kate, it's OK to name anyone who you know to have died, it's just living people we cannot name.

Thanks for the extra information. I'll use it to see if I can unfold anymore info. For now, here's Brenda's birth, she was registered as Loveridge, born before Tryphena's marriage.

Brenda L Loveridge, Mother's maiden name: Loveridge
    Jul-Aug-Sep 1938, Huntingdonshire North
    Volume Number: 3b
    Page Number: 332

William J Wallis, born abt 1912
    Date of Registration: Mar 1967
    Age at Death: 55
    Registration district:Bourne, Lincolnshire
    Volume: 3b
    Page: 74

Katemartin

Goodness, Huntingdonshire would match up with the Chatteris information we have on my grandmother and her family. I didn't know Brenda had been born a Loveridge! Her obituary doesn't contain that information and she never spoke of it. Perhaps she didnt know? Or didnt care? Intrigue!

I also discovered tonight that my grandad died of TB. Ouch :/

It appears that the surname Martin and the surname Parker crop up for my grandad and his brother...but I'm not sure how/when/where. There is no record for a Wallis/Martin or a Wallis/Parker marriage in either Lewisham OR Peterborough, so I'm not sure how well this could be traced. The birth year for Grandads brother has been wrongly listed as 1909 - it turns out its more likely to be 1919 as there is a record with my great grandads name on it for Lewisham on the site you linked me to in your first post. Could anyone clear this up? It *appears* that Williams mum was Martin and Johns mum was Parker...but none of it makes sense if this is the case. Any light we could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast