Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default John PEIRCE - born in Newbury

I found my husband's great-great grandfather, John Peirce, a few years ago but have not been able to find any information on his father or mother. The age given on the various census return give his date of birth as c 1809 in Newbury. John married Sarah Johnson in March 1834 in Islington. I have his marriage certificate and his death cert in July 1888. I also have all of the census returns 1841 to 1881 and he was a book binder on them all.

This week I found, via Ancestry, that John was given the Freedom of the City of London on 31st October 1866. This form gives his father as John, deceased, of Newbury a victualler.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I have looked at the census for 1841 without success. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you

Pauline

Allan F Sparrow

You have a double problem, because Peirce is a name which lends itself to variant spellings, and Newbury is near the county border, so someone living there could easily have come from Wiltshire, for example. At Corsham, Wilts., which is a little far from Newbury, I found John Peirces of three successive generations being buried, in 1785, 1790 and 1801. This was the Peirce spelling, but I am not suggesting they are the right family, just pointing to possibilities. I saw other records for baptisms and marriages at Devizes and Marlborough, but very little in Berkshire or close to Newbury.

Maybe someone else who reall knows that area will chip in more helpfully.

pippycat

This might be a possible for the father John Snr:

1841 London census: 675 Book 9 F27 p47
    Cock Inn, Portland St. Marylebone

John Pearce 1781 Victualler
    Elizabeth 1801

Neither of them were born in London, and of course, being 1841, very helpful with no relationship stated.
    Elizabeth possibly his dau - but she could be a young wife!

John Pearce is also listed in 1841 London Post office Directory:
    Little Portland St
    Cock, John Pearce.

Might be worth considering.

Rebecca

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your answers. First, Allan, as you say Peirce is open to all sorts of spelling. Is has been amazing that in most of the official forms, census, birth, marriage, electoral registers etc the name has been spelt as Peirce. Having said that I have looked into the other variants without a great deal of success.

It does state quite clearly on the Freedom of the City of London form 'late of Newbury, Berkshire, victualler, dec', once again, thank you Allan and Rebecca. I will look into both of your suggestions. John Peirce snr, knowing my luck, will have died before the 1851 census was taken!

Regards

Pauline

Have you looked for newspapers of the time? Not just the London ones, but also maybe a "local boy did good" report in Newbury...

Starting to feel at home

Yes I have Lesley, but without any luck....so far

Allan F Sparrow

Have you seen this one: John Peirce registered as having died, 1843 3rd quarter, Reading?
    Reading is at least quite near Newbury.

Allan F Sparrow

Please ignore my last - there's a matching burial record which says he was 37 - much too young to be the man I hoped he might be!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for looking Allan. I did check that entry myself....in hope not expectation!

Allan F Sparrow

How about
    John Peirce died 1849 Q4 Newbury - I found this at Ancestry, though it seemed not to show up on earlier searches elsewhere.

Or John Pearce died 1847 Q3 Newbury
    or John Pearce died 1850 Q4 Newbury
    or John Pearce died 1863 Q1 Newbury.

You've probably seen them all and rejected them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast