Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Diary - 1929

Do let us know what happens to the diary. OH and be prepared for them not to want it. Sometimes people don't want anything old and they don't care about the past. It seems strange to us, I know but there are people like that. Perhaps if they don't want it you could offer it to a museum or local history group.... or the Archives of the local area. I have just donated a pile of stuff that my father had saved from his business together with some personal stuff because it all gives depth and colour to a particular period in local history.
    Just a thought
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Musichetta

After talking to my friend who is (very, very slowly) scanning in the pages. He said we'll finish them, and i can type them all up before giving it to them, if they want it. It's quite charming, I thought it would make an excellent ebook.

gasser

This has been a very interesting thread. Your friend must have the patience of a saint to scan the pages on such a 'fragile' piece! Who will you get in touch with ? Marjorie's brother, John B.Hodge? or Hugo Redmore Hodge?

gasser

Interesting.... twins?
    Births Dec 1949
    Hodge Hugo R Read Harrow 5f 416
    Hodge Nigel B Read Harrow 5f 416

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have sent a pm to Musichetta suggesting he/she keeps his options open as to the eventual home of such an interesting insight into life just as we were going into the Great Depression! What now makes it more interesting is the fact that the family has been identified.

I certainly appreciate the actions of someone who when the OH grandparent died, disposed of the business records ( drapers & undertakers) 1884 - 1948 to what is now Chester RO...yet again another insight into how people lived and died. I even found out that a coffin would be ferried on the canal to the graveyard.......

At the same time family photos all named found their way to what is now GMRO cost me £120 to get all 20 but I now know that had they been left to others I wouldn't have a copy now...one of the persons was born 1848

Ken_R

Only joking about Ebay. I wouldn't be so mercenary. As I'm sure you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Musichetta View Post
    A price list of what her new clothes cost,
    THAT's the interesting bit. This is an area of Social History that is so often not recorded. Whilst there are records of Household expenses and suchlike, what you have there is a virtual 'time capsule' of the personal expenditures as seen through the eyes of a teenager. Albeit, a teenager in a 'well to do' family but, important none the less.

Knowledgeable and helpful

These Diary's make the most interesting reads about life and family and I (being nosey!) love reading them
    I have just read a Dairy of the Blitz only a snapshot of 1940=1941 but in an area I grew up in so really enjoyable.
    This Dairy Musichetta found sounds like it would make a good read .......would you have to have families permission?

sandie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

would you have to have families permission?
    Maybe not the ownership appears to have passed to another, copyright only lasts 50 years......

A fountain of knowledge

This is what was done with another diary: olivesdiary1914.com (no www in front); by a young girl who started documenting what sadly turned out to be the last weeks of her life.

I too have a mystery one which I bought on eBay because it was by a lad who lived locally to me, but he only kept it up during term-time at a private school which he doesn't identify. Maybe when it next surfaces I'll post some excerpts in the hope that someone can locate it.

Default message from Margorie Hodge's niece

Hi Musichetta

I am Dinah, the daughter of Marjorie's youngest brother John and was fascinated to come across your posts about my aunt's diary. I would love to learn more and hope that, despite the two year time lapse since your discussions on this topic, you will be interested in getting in touch.

regards
    Dinah Hodge

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678