Thread: Occupations

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Occupations

Silly question but I cant' made up my mind which way to go.

When you write something up and quote an occupation (millhand, miner, draper's assstant for example) do you use capitals: Millhand,Miner, Draper's Assistant - or not?

I can't decide if there is a 'correct' way or whether it's up to me and what looks 'right'.

Any thoughts?

Ultimately, it's what looks right to you, allowing for punctuation. I don't use caps.

I might use capitals if I am listing a census entry, to delineate the columns, but if I am writing text, eg "he worked as a wheelwright" then I don't use capitals.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

As a general rule, I think we should avoid the excessive use of capitals. While there's a distinction between 'Church' and 'church' (eg 'there is a church on the corner' but 'the Church disapproves of sin'), I can't think the same applies to jobs.

If you meant a specific office (eg 'he was the Bishop of Durham') I think you'd be right to use capitals but not if you wrote 'he eventually became a bishop'. Could be a minefield! I'd say no capitals unless you're sure that lower case doesn't look right

If you've got a British library card (nb not British Library...oh no, here we go again ) you should have access to an online edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage via Oxford Reference. You might find it interesting.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hmmm. Interesting to see the thoughts of others. I am leaning towards the use of lower case letters but take Peter's points as very valid.

I did type a few with an initial capital and then the same with lower case and I have to say the lower case versions look better. I've checked in fiction and non-fiction books and they don't favour capital letters either so that will be the way I go.

Thanks.

Starting to feel at home

Lower case in normal sentences. Capitals in census entries (although you should be tabling these anyway)

Kiltpin

The only exception that I can think of, is where the job description is also the persons title. As in Alderman, Mayor, Comptroller and the like.

Regards

Kiltpin