Haz515

Default Royal Corps of Signals- Japanese POW

Looking to find information on a great-uncle. We believe he was in the Royal Corps of Signals and became a Japanese POW following the fall of Singapore. He would have signed up in the Paisley or Glasgow area, his name was John Cameron Stewart (known as Ian). Struggling to find any information at all. Any tips or information would be much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Try here - https://www.cofepow.org.uk/

regards

Robert

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried following the National Archives guidance?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-1939-1953.htm

A fountain of knowledge

simmo1 has the best site to start with there: cofepow are excellent.
    After that the national archives: FWR have WO361/2233 on wards within their sights for a full transcription but this is way down the list unfortunately.

This is the Burma-Thailand Railway nominal camps list where a large number of the men captured at Singapore were taken to.

After that a disclosure request to the army disclosures unit at Glasgow is probably a good bet: this will obtain the full service records which should help enormously.

Default 1940 Photo of Royal Corps of Signals

Quote Originally Posted by Haz515 View Post
    Looking to find information on a great-uncle. We believe he was in the Royal Corps of Signals and became a Japanese POW following the fall of Singapore. He would have signed up in the Paisley or Glasgow area, his name was John Cameron Stewart (known as Ian). Struggling to find any information at all. Any tips or information would be much appreciated.
    "I have just come across an official photograph of the Royal Corps of Signals amongst my father's belongings. It was probably taken at the bandstand in Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow in 1940. Perhaps your Great Uncle John Cameron Stewart is in the photograph. Other than my relatives, I do not know the names of anyone else in the photograph.

I have 38 photographs which were taken in Singapore before the Fall of Singapore. Some are of the Signals and others are of buildings in Singapore including the Carnegie Library. Copies have been sent to the National Archives of Singapore and the CEFEPOW group. I have also contacted the Royal Signals Museum in Blanford to no avail. After three attempts to contact the curator I gave up."

I realise that this thread is 4 years old, but for that reason I think that it's worth mentioning that the transcription of Far East Prisoners which I think Timbo58 is alluding to in #4 is now underway. See HERE.

PS Welcome in, Signals Glasgow!

Default Royal Signals Photograph in Glasgow

and the photographs taken in Singapore, I have sent digital copies to the CoFEPOW, the National Archives of Singapore and the Changi Museum

Thanks for the welcome