Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cathym

Default Coal miner in Wakefield

My great grandfather was born and brought up in Staffordshire, got married there and had three children. Then in about 1912 he and his family turn up in Wakefield (Yorkshire) and his employment is coal miner - although he doesn't appear to have been a coal miner in Tipton Staffs when they lived there. I was trying to find out what might have prompted the move / change of occupation and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Allan F Sparrow

The possibilities seem almost endless!
    What was his occupation in Staffordshire? If you were to give some indication of what you know, in some detail, it is more likely that someone here will be able to make useful suggestions. At the moment we have nothing to work on. But of course it's up to you.

Cathym

My great great grandfather was Tomas BARRATT.
    Born 17/12/1881 West Bromwich Staffordshire
    Married 26/1/1902 Tipton Staffs
    Children born 1902, 1904, 1906, 1909, 1911 all in West Bromwich, Staffs
    1911 census lived at 120, Brickhouses Lane, West Bromwich. Occupation: Labourer in ironworks

5th child Annie Barratt died in Wakefield, Yorkshire 1913
    6th child John Barratt born and died Wakefield 1914.
    Thomas enlists in the army August 1914. Lives at Piccadilly, Wakefield. Occupation coal miner
    Thomas discharged on health grounds October 1914. Residence Piccadilly, Wakefield. Occupation still recorded as coal miner.
    Four more children born 1915, 1919, 1921, 1923
    Thomas died 1949 Wakefield Yorks

There are no family connections to Yorkshire as far as I can tell before they made the move so I'm really intrigued to find out what prompted the re-location and change of occupation.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Allan F Sparrow

You have certainly given plenty of material now!

I will scrabble about this morning, and see if I can find any useful lines, though not with great optimism, as the reasons for the move could have been known to only your great-grandfather...

Allan F Sparrow

No good news, I'm sorry to say. I have found the appropriate sources for his birth, marriage and death, and have looked a little into his wife's family, which is easier to trace than his own, but i can see nothing to connect any of them with Yorkshire.

On the military side, you know more than I was able to find, but that's not a speciality area for me.

While I was researching my connections in Suffolk, I came across several branches of a related family which uprooted themselves and moved to other parts of England (or in one case, America). These were agricultural labourers who saw no prospects in Suffolk, and moved "up north", to Durham, Yorkshire and Lancashire, and many of them became coal-miners. It is possible that your Thomas found himself in a similar situation: perhaps he lost his job, for one reason or another; or perhaps he made himself unpopular with local employers - through trade union activity? - and needed to move place and work.

Unless someone more skilled than myself can find something by trawling newspapers, I think there will be no answer. I did look at the newspapers at FMP, but found nothing relevant.

Reputation beyond repute

"Why?" is a question you almost never get an answer to in family history.

However there was a miners' strike in 1912. You might like to consider the possibilities associated with that. Strikebreaking?

grinsill

Hello Cathym
    I live in the Black Country and note your gt/gt grandfathers movements to Wakefield back then. Its not that unusual in that my grandmothers brother moved from Tipton to Yorkshire to work in the pits. All my relatives at the turn of the 20th century were either foundry workers or coal miners. It is strange that your relative changed trade on moving to Wakefield unless he got a job above ground doing labouring work. It was common for people in those days moving between industrial areas looking for work. Sometimes any work will do.
    I note that your gt/gt grandfather was discharged from the forces for health reasons. Combining the above comments and his medical discharge could indicate a long term illness.
    Just thoughts that need to be considered when looking for people from industrial areas in those days.
    Regards Mike

Cathym

Thanks for the interesting comments above. I've looked at several family history blogs where people have recorded a similar move as well. Apparently Royston (between Barnsley and Wakefield) was even known as "Little Staffordshire". I think you're right 'grinshill': he must have been a general labourer and took whatever work he could find. As to "strike-breaking" - I'll keep looking into that. Thanks for all your help.

Cathym

Quote Originally Posted by Allan F Sparrow View Post
    Unless someone more skilled than myself can find something by trawling newspapers, I think there will be no answer. I did look at the newspapers at FMP, but found nothing relevant.
    I think you're right! Another good story comes to an end. On with the next one

Cathym

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    "Why?" is a question you almost never get an answer to in family history.

However there was a miners' strike in 1912. You might like to consider the possibilities associated with that. Strikebreaking?
    I've had a good read around the 1912 strike but it seems to have only lasted for about a month so I shouldn't think they would have had time to organise an alternative work-force. The strike appears to have been widespread as well in all areas. I'm not convinced he actually was a coal miner: on two of his daughters' marriage certificates he was a labourer in 1924 and a brick setter in 1927.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast