Default LEWIS JOHN LEVEY-FLORA HART

I have been researching my paternal Hart lines for more than a decade and can now fill in data on one "missing" daughter of Aaron Hart and Rebecca Crawcour my 3 x great grandparents. She was Flora Hart born London in 1855 ( there are discrepancies in the UK Census data and on the age given for her death). The main clue to what happened to Flora began to become clearer following my discovery of a Memoriam Message in The Sydney Morning Herald Saturday 21 August,1897 - "In sad and loving memory of our dear brother in law LEWIS J LEVEY who died after a few days illness of pneumonia at Honolulu Hawaii. Albert and Phoebe GOLDSMID".
    I have posted on the Albert Goldsmid and Phoebe Hart lines on this forum as well as on the various siblings of Phoebe Hart.
    I will post later on the UK Census and on Flora's birth Certificate.
    Phoebe Goldsmid had a sister Flora who appears last in the 1881 UK Census with Amelia Hart and her husband Henry Chapman Hart ( two Hart lines who married into each other). From then on I was unable to trace her until yesterday.
    The Memoriam message enabled me to track Lewis John Levey aka Lewis J Levey on various sites including FamilySearch and pay sites as well as in other records. The Hawaiian Gazette Tues August 25, 1896 recorded -Death- LEVEY-"In this city August 22,1896 of pnemonia, Lewis J Levey a native of Manchester England aged 58. In The San Francisco Call vol 97 no 137 15 April, 1905 the death of Flora Levey was announced- "LEVEY- In Honolulu, T H March 24,1905, Flora, wife of the late L J Levey, a native of London, England aged 46".
    In a snippet ( full article requires payment) Death- Flora Levey widow of the late L J Levey died this morning after a lingering..." The Hawaiian Star Honolulu Hawaii March 24, 1905
    Under Hawaii Deaths and Burials 1862-1919 Records- LOUIS J LEVEY Death 22 August 1896 Honolulu Age 60 birth 1836 White

The 1900 US Census Honolulu Oahu Hawaii 1836 1B 0016 (Copyright, National Archives US) showed:
    Flora Levey H Widow b August 1875 age 39 years married 17 children born 6; born England; parents both born England; Percy son 13 b Hawaii both parents born England; Herbert son 10 b Hawaii;Clarence b Hawaii; Sydney A b Dec 1868 31 Australia; Maude R Dau b June 1890 Hawaiii; Ethel E dau b May 1892 Hawaii
    The Census appears to contain some errors regarding dob particularly for Flora and Sydney.
    However, Familysearch has several records for the birth of the children of Flora and Lewis under Hawaii Births and Christenings 1852-1933.
    Percy John Levey b 18 Feb 1887 Honolulu - Parents Lewis J Levey; spouse Flora HART;
    Ethel Eva Levey b 10 May 1892 Honolulu
    Clarence Samuel Levey b 27 Nove 1893 Honolulu

I will post further data on the children of Lewis and Flora including their marriages.

How and why Lewis and Flora settled in Hawaii is not known but it is my belief that they were both at one stage in Australia and there are some records which might confirm this.
    Phillip

Default FLORA LEVEY NEE HART 1855-1905 DIED HONOLULU

In my previous post I referred to errors regarding the dob of Flora Levey nee HART. Her GRO Birth Certificate shows- 5 August 1855 Rose Lawn Cottage Oval Kennington - Flora girl father AARON HART Boot and Shoe Manufacturer- mother- REBECCA HART formerly CRAWCOUR signature and residence of informant Aaron Hart father Rose Lawn Cottage Oval Kennington -birth registered 12 Sept 1855
    There are 3 UK Census records for Flora:
    1861 Rose Lawn Cottage Kennington Oval RG9 357 7 14 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Aaron Hart H M 48 Export Shoe Manufacturer b Whitechapel; Rebecca wife 39 b St Lukes;Amelia dau u 20 b Mile End; Annie dau u 18 b Mile End; Phoebe dau u 17 b Mile End; Henry son 14 b Mile End; Eva dau 13 b Mile End; Gertrude dau 12 b Mile End; Samuel son 10 b Mile End; FLORA dau 5 b Surrey Kennington; Rosina dau 4 b Surrey Kennington; Napthali A son 2 b Surrey Kennington; Bernard son 1 b Surrey Kennington; Grace 2mths b Surrey Kennington
    +2 servants
    1871 356 Kennington Road Lambeth RG10 675 135 11 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Aaron Hart H Widower 62 Shoe Manufacturer; Eva dau u 21; Gertrude dau u19;FLORA dau 15;Rosina dau 12; Bernard son 11; Grace dau 10; Constance Hart grand daughter 5 - All given as born London
    1881 Census 46 Woburn Place St George Bloomsbury RG11 320 6 7 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Henry Hart H M 37 House Agent b London St George; Amelia wife 36 no occupation b Whitechapel; Constance dau 15 scholar b St Pancras; Ernest son 14 scholar b St Pancras; FLORA HART sister in law u 22 Governess b Kennington + boarders +2 servants

I will post further.
    Phillip

Default LEWIS JOHN LEVEY

I have yet to fully confirm who the parents of Lewis John Levey were. There are 2 public family trees on Ancestry Com which give names of parents but I prefer to confirm these. However, in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 1999 Pub Robert Boyd there is a record seeking the whereabouts of Lewis Levey and data which matches that of one of his siblings and his father listed on the family trees:
    "Wanted, private address of LEWIS LEVEY, son of the late JOHN LEVEY, tobacconist of New York and Montreal, and now residing in London- Address L ; Jewish Chronicle Office 19.3.1875"
    The record further relates to the link for the marriage of Alfred J Levey to Jeannetta Flora Davidson- Marriage Alfred J LEVEY 30.10.1878 Dalson Synagogue son of the late John Levey of Montreal Canada, to Jeannetta Flora DAVIDSON youngest daughter of J E DAVIDSON of "Springfield", Canonbury Park S late of Liverpool. Birth of a daughter 27.8.1879 Springfield Canonbury Park S.
    These lines also relate to Gabriel S WILLING son in law of Jacob Davidson ( father of Jeannetta, Sophia and Esther) and Dorothea Willing sister of Mrs Jacob Davidson- the address for the Davidson in 1871 -30 Grove Street Liverpool
    Phillip

Default FLORA LEVEY NEE HART-DEATH 1905 HONOLULU

This post confirms that Flora LEVEY nee HART who died in 1905 Honolulu is the daughter of Aaron Hart and Rebecca Crawcour as previously suggested in earlier posts:
    DEATH- The Sydney Morning Herald Weds 3 May 1905
    LEVEY- March 24 1905 at Honolulu H J -FLORA relict of the late Lewis J LEVEY and beloved sister of Mrs Albert A GOLDSMID and Miss Rosie HART of Hawthorne Queen Street Croydon NSW

Mrs Albert A Goldsmid is Phoebe Hart and Rosie is Rosina Hart sisters of Flora. In the 1881 UK Census as previously posted, Flora is a visitor at the house of her eldest sister Amelia Hart and her brother in law Henry Chapman Hart my 2x great grandparents.

There are living descendants of Flora and Lewis who settled in USA. I will post on the lines which link these descendants.
    Phillip

Default LEWIS JOHN LEVEY-FLORA HART -HONOLULU

Following further research, I made contact with one of my distant cousins in the USA who descends from Lewis John Levey aka Lewis J Levey and Flora Hart. My newly found cousin has been kind enough to send me data and photographs which confirm the Hart/Levey relationships. In addition, the data enabled me to confirm what had happened to Eva Hart sister of Flora and I will post separately on her.
    There are numbers of descendants of Lewis and Flora. Lewis and Flora both died in Honolulu. In addition, there is range of data regarding Lewis J Levey including his imprisonment in Honolulu and subsequent forced migration back to Australia and then his return to Honolulu. These documents are to be found in the UK National Archives as well as the Hawaii State Records.
    As a very brief summary the children of Lewis and Flora were:
    Getrude Levey 1884-1886; John 1885-1885; Percy John 1887 m Angela BLOCK; Herbert Aaron 1888-1923; Rebecca Maude 1890-1937; Ethel Eva 1892-1987 m Lewis Stanley Benjamin; Clarance Samuel 1893-1972; Sydney Albert 1895-1966.
    Numbers of the children lived and died in Honolul as well as San Francisco.
    Phillip

The Marriage of Flora Hart daughter of Aaron Hart and Rebecca Crawcour to Lewis John Levey-
    Evening Bulletin from Honolulu Hawaii Mon July 23 1883
    In Honolulu July 22 1883 Marriage at the residence of S J Levey, Lewis J Levey to Miss Flora Hart London England

Final Estate of Flora J Levey $1592.81- Evening Bulletin Honolulu 19 August 1907

Phillip