Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kdaye67

Default Unsure trying to locate R A Seymour

Mine is an unusual one as my grandfather Ronald A Seymour was in the Navy but he married my grandmother in 1948 Maria M Wittich, she is of course german i believe from Kiel as she often spoke of it fondly. However I can't seem to find my grandfathers record I think he was born around 1924 - 1927 I would imagine he would have gone to germany on a ship in the navy, I cant even find a record of his birth but found details of the marriage in huntingdon. I dont know much about my grandfathers father or mother so its quite a struggle, I was hoping this site would help me find him, I have found a few seymours that fit in with the era but unsure if it is actually them. I have to also later look into my grandmothers side but that is going to be even harder.

Allan F Sparrow

I have found three births for a Ronald A Seymour:
    1922 first quarter Uxbridge Middlesex, mother's maiden name Howell
    1923 third quarter Uxbridge Middlesex, mother's maiden name Ayres
    1923 fourth quarter Kings Lynn Norfolk, mother's maiden name Warnes.

Do any of those ring any bells?

I see the marriage was in Huntingdon. Do you have any reason to associate your man with that place, or with Uxbridge or Kings Lynn?

kdaye67

I think those for my grandfather R A Seymour was to early as he was born either in 1924 to about 1927 so i think the group would be from world war 2 onwards, thank you for trying to help me i do really appreciate it :-) i found details of the marriage to my grandmother listed as huntindon in 1948 on an ancestory site her german name is Wittich and i can recall them talking about meeting in germany, they had two children robert seymour and my mother veronica seymour, the dates from the marriage fit in with the searches on their births. i will look at those you have located as my great grandfather could possibly be one of them but i think my grandfather middle name was alfred, I know he had a good ranking in the navy.

gasser

but found details of the marriage in huntingdon. I dont know much about my grandfathers father or mother so its quite a struggle
    The marriage certificate would give both their father's names and occupations... have you got this?

kdaye67

i have ordered it from the passport office and await its arrival with excitement :-)

Allan F Sparrow

You say your man was born in 1924 to 1927, but what is your basis for that? I did look (at FreeBMD) for births in that time-frame, but there were none for R A Seymour. As gasser says, the marriage certificate could prove vitally important, as it should give the fathers' names for both spouses.
    I have no expertise on finding naval officers' careers, but I'm sure there are people on BG who can help on that side.

Good luck!

kdaye67

I am just giving it a guess at the time frame of birth, i think i will know more when their marriage certificate arrives, maybe i have got the years of birth out by a few years, but having a guess at the ages by the marriage and i think didnt people have to be over 24 to marry? i know my grandmother talked of their courtship having to be chaperoned by her brother and father and my grandfather brought her to the uk to marry. i know my mother was born 18 april 1950 and an uncle born in 1952. I never knew much about this side of the family as we lost touch when i was a small child

Reputation beyond repute

Many perceived problems in genealogy are simply a result of not having obtained the necessary certificates.

For example, I don't believe you have your mother's birth certificate. If you had, you would know your grandfather's full name. I don't believe that not having your mother's birth certificate is acceptable. You might not bother about a distant cousin but not your mother!

Apart from your mother's birth certificate, I would recommend searching for your grandfather's death. Perhaps you know when he died but if it was after 1972 the death certificate (and the GRO index) will show his exact date of birth.

kdaye67

I understand what your saying however due to family history i am not in contact with my mother and have no wish to and there are solid reasons i do not wish to disclose, However her parents i knew as a small child and i will wait for their marriage certificate, I have spoken to my father and he has no information so im going a bit blind without info on dates of births for grandparents and also do not know dates of death. im going by names and it was easy to find details of grandparents marriage due to the german name of my grandmother. my mothers details are on my own birth certificate. the last time i saw my grandparents was over 25 years ago poss more.

Allan F Sparrow

I think we can see your difficulties, but they are also difficulties for us in trying to help

One thing is certain, that the marriage of Ronald A Seymour and Miss Wittich (Maria M I think was the name I saw) took place in Huntingdon in 1948. If Ronald was born as late as 1927, he would have been only 21 at his marriage. If he was born in 1924, he would have been 24. Marriage at either of those ages is possible and legal, but if he was a naval officer at that time, as you seem to think, it seems to me more likely that he was older, perhaps even quite a bit older. Perhaps we should be looking to even earlier than the 1922-23 group which I found. With so much that is uncertain, all possibilities need to be taken into account.

Allan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast