brianc

Question CRONK in DARTFORD AREA

Does anyone have any information etc to add to my family history? My surname is CRONK and I come from DARTFORD area in Kent. Would like to hear from anyone with info/memories/family links. brianc

Reputation beyond repute

This isn't really a history topic. I think it would be better off in the Kent section.

It's an interesting surname. The surname atlas shows CRONK as being particularly prevalent in Kent but the CRANK variant is mainly found in the North West.

For some reason, the Sevenoaks area had the greatest concentration of CRONKs.

It might be a good surname for a one name study.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This isn't really a history topic. I think it would be better off in the Kent section.
    Done Peter. Thank you.

Welcome to Brit-Gen brianc. Peter's suggestion of a one name study could become a life time's occupation

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

brianc

Many thanks for that answer. As I am researching my family history I thought I may unearth some mor info. Brian

Hello
    If you are looking for information regarding a particular ancestor(s) our sleuths will be eager to help you but will need more information. Names, date of birth, parents etc.
    However if you are wanting to connect with living descendants the Brit- Gen AUP prevents the naming of living/possibly living people.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

Presumably you know that the parish registers for Dartford are at Medway Archives and online free of charge at Cityark (I know Dartford isn't in Medway but...)

There's a partial index to their post-1837 marriages at https://
    homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fleming/cityark.htm

It can help to save on the cost of certificates.

Most records for Dartford, apart from parish registers, are at Maidstone. You'd also want their records if you do trace the family to West Kent.

The Society of Genealogists library has several documents & publications dealing with CRONK genealogy. You might find it worthwhile to spend an afternoon there.

https://62.32.98.6/S10312UK/OPAC/Sear...SearchMethod=1

(select CRONK (surname))

If you've got specific questions, we'd all be happy to try and help.

There was a John CRONK (37) with his wife Ann (34) and children Mary Ann (14), John (8) and Frances (6) amongst the original 1820 Settlers to the Cape of Good Hope. They appear on the Muster Roll for the 'Weymouth' and sailed with Gurney's Party, largely made up of men from Deal. See https://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/i...01-03-15-40-04
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids