hisco26

Default McGaffin, Jane and father James

I have been trying to trace the Mcgaffin family in County Down fro some years.

Jane migrated to Australia in 1857, aged 25. That would make her birth circa 1833. On her marriage certificate - to Samuel James Sykes - she indicated that her father's name was James and mother's - Elizabeth Thomson.

The only other information we have is a family story - that a couple of Jane's grandsons who served in France during WWII visited the 'family linen mill'. That suggests there was some family or business between 1914 - 1918. [Could it have just been a scrutching mill??]

I did find a James McGaffin in Griffith's - renting a house, office and land in Sheeptown - Crobane [would that make it between 1848 and 1864??]

I did find Mcgaffins in Sheeptown in the 1901 and 1911 census - but the ages and professions of the individuals does not quite fit.

So --- there is nothing else I have been able to pin down. I know the surname can be spelt different ways -McGarvin, McGuffin.

Can anyone suggest any other options??

with thanks
    Jillian

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Sheepstown property you have seen in Griffiths Valuation was a 79 acre farm. If there were a mill there, that would be recorded in the valuation records. The revaluation records show the farm remaining in James’ name till 1897, when it changed to “reps of” indicating he had died. It then changed again in 1900 to Jane. This is her in the 1901 census:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...ptown/1246781/

Full Abstract :
    The Will of James M'Gaffin late of Sheeptown County Down Farmer who died 31 October 1895 was proved at Belfast by William Gillespie of Trevor Hill Newry said County Bank Manager and William Eakin of Ashton Fathom County Armagh Agent Executors. Effects £439 2s.

You can read the full will on the PRONI site. James’ wife was named Matilda. The Jane in the census was his daughter-in-law. The farm was to be held in trust for his grandson James McGaffin.

https://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCA...aspx?id=214546

There were several different processes in the making of linen. There were factories that manufactured it, and there were other mill processes such as beetling (toughening it up and giving it a shine) as well as scutching. In rural areas they were nearly always water powered. At one time there were dozens of them across Co Down. (Which won’t help you at all).
    ELWYN

hisco26

Default Jane and james mcgaffin

Thank you very much for your reply.

You have given me further food for thought. I will read throught the information in ht elinks you have provided.

I appreciate it.

Jillian

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Jillian

There is an Alexander McGaffin age 73 in the 1911 Irish census (free to view) in Lisburn Rd Co Antrim, born Co Down, whose occupation is retired Linen Business. Also in the family is grandson Alexander who is an assistant mill manager. Might be worth looking further at that family.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi Jillian

There is an Alexander McGaffin age 73 in the 1911 Irish census (free to view) in Lisburn Rd Co Antrim, born Co Down, whose occupation is retired Linen Business. Also in the family is grandson Alexander who is an assistant mill manager. Might be worth looking further at that family.
    In 1901 Alexander is in Belgravia Avenue , Windsor, co antrim with wife Eliza and other members of his family.

hisco26

This is wonderful - you have widened my search again. I was getting very stuck in the one spot [Sheeptown!]. I will explore that as well.