Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    silverdigger

Default Look up birth in Windsor please around 1811

I would really appreciate someone trying to find a birth for me if possible as I have tried so far without success.

I am looking for the baptism of Mary Ann Wootton who according to the 1851 census was born about 1811 in Windsor, Berkshire. In 1851 she is living with her husband Henry Willets in Kings Norton, Worcestershire. They were married in Edgbaston in 1838. Her father was Thomas Wootton occupation 'clerk'. Her brother was Charles Wootton. If any one can help I would be very grateful.

With thanks

Silverdigger:

Allan F Sparrow

The only baptism of a Mary Ann Wootton that I can see (at FMP) was at St George, Hanover Square, London, on 6 Jan 1811, birth-date given as 10 Dec 1810, father Thomas Wootton and mother Dorothy. I saw nothing useful at FreeREG or familysearch.

The marriage and the 1851 census are the only other things I found on a quick search.

pippycat

Henry is widowed in 1871 and living with his daughter Mary Ann.

1871 Yorks census: 4692 f36 p28
    38 Back Mowbray? St. Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield.

Alexander Ford 1842 Sheffield. Cutlery Carter
    wife: Mary Ann 1843 Birmingham
    dau: Louisa 1866 Sheffield
    son: Alexander 1869 Sheffield
    father: Henry Willits 1814 Birmingham. Electro plater finisher. Widow.

2 possible deaths for Mary Ann Willets
    Dec Q 1860 Stourbridge 6c p79
    Dec Q 1862 West Bromwich 6b p405

I can't spot the family on 1861 census.

Rebecca

Allan F Sparrow

Henry was still in his son-in-law's household in 1881. He may have been the Henry Willits who died in Ecclesall Bierlow registration district in 1886 3rd quarter, aged 72. Otherwise, like Rebecca, I cannot find the family. Anc***** has the marriage and the same baptism as I mentioned before.

janbooth

There is a baptism for a Charles WOOTTON at St George Hanover Square to Thomas & Dorothea WOOTTON on 7 May 1818 but Thomas's occupation is shown as a Farrier and the couple were from Pimlico, so am not sure whether these could be your Mary Ann's parents.

Janet

Allan F Sparrow

If the baptism I found and the one Janet has found were those of siblings, as seems very possible, it would be odd that Mary Ann should have thought she was born in Windsor. I had been thinking that she might have been brought up there, and so thought that she was born there - a very common scenario in census records - but this seems less possible if her brother was baptised in Hanover Square seven years later...

silverdigger

Firstly I must apologise for not responding sooner, but been a bit preoccupied. Thomas Wootton has always been a bit of a problem as his children appear to have been born in different places according to their census entries. Eg Charles in Colchester, Essex and sister Mary Ann in Windsor. I am 99% sure that they are brother and sister as they were witnesses at each other's marriages in Birmingham, but their father's occupation is given as a 'warehouse clerk'.

I believe Thomas was married twice as his wife Ann in the 1841 census is too young to be the mother of his older children. I found a marriage for TW to Ann Walker that fits and he is given as a widower. I also believe that his first wife's name was also Ann as I found a burial for Ann wife of Thomas that fits.

I have also tried to find a burial for Mary Ann Willets, but so far been unsuccessful.

Many thanks

silverdigger

Thanks for the 2 deaths - will investigate further. I couldn't find them in 1861 either and that entry may prove to be useful.

silverdigger

Hello Janet,

The problem for me is TW's occupation as on the marriage entries, the birth of his later children, his and his second wife's death it is always given as 'warehouse clerk' or 'clerk'. It is of course, possible he changed his occupation, but it doesn't help to confirm what I already know. He has sent me white over the years.

Thanks for contacting me.

pippycat

As I can't find any trace of the family in 1861, I'm starting to think Mary Ann died before 1861 census and the family split through the circumstances.

I still cannot find Henry or Priscilla but here are two slightly dodgy possibles for Louisa and Mary Ann.

Daughter Louisa:

1861 census: 2130 f62 p16
    102 Grosvenor St. Birmingham.

Joseph Wood 1784 Burton on Trent. Retired Registrar?
    dau: Lucy 1821 B'ham. Governess
    boarder: Helen Batham? 1844 Kidderminster. Assist. teacher
    servant: Louisa WILKES 1844 B'ham. Gen servant.

Marriage: Louisa Willets Dec Q 1860 Sheffield, Yorks
    either Arthur Clulif or James Furniss/Turniss

Presume this is them:

1861: 3489 f87 p5
    116 Pond St. Sheffield.

Arthur Culf 1840 Sheffield. Metal smith
    wife: Louisa 1840 B'ham. Silver polisher.

Debateable whether either is the correct Louisa but its all I could find.

Daughter Mary Ann:

1861: 2166 f77 p6
    30 Snape St. Birmingham

Thomas Hopwood 1827 B'ham. Gold chain maker
    wife: Caroline 1834 B'ham
    dau: Kate E 1858 B'ham
    son: John Joseph 1859 B'ham. Gold chain maker
    nephew: Joseph Smith 1840 B'ham. Gold chain maker
    niece: Mary Jane Smith 1856 London
    visitor: Maria Leach 1847 B'ham
    brother in law: William Leach 1845 B'ham. Mech draughsman
    visitor: Mary Ann WILLETS 1854 B'ham
    servant: Elizabeth Mason 1843 B'ham

Apart from Mary Ann's age being well out there is a possibility she may have turned into Emma Willets 1853 B'ham who is servant on 1871 census with same Thomas Hopwood.

Having said that, I did a quick look at Emma Willets and she appears to be daughter of either:
    John Willets and Hannah. They do not have a daughter Mary Ann - only a Mary born 1859 who appears on the 1871 census with John and Hannah.
    Jabez Willets and Maria - they have no daughter named Mary Ann.

Other than this I cannot find the family in 1861 - very annoying!

But, I did come across this for death of daughter Priscilla.

https://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimDet...fm?claim=9a-88

Hopefully the link will work, if it doesn't I can give you the details.

Still doesn't answer your original question though.

Rebecca

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast