David Annis

Default Upgrading my old software and printing

I am using Family Tree Maker. Version 4. 20010. Now thinking I should upgrade to Family Tree 2014 Platinum version. Can anyone advise me if this new version will merge smoothly with my old version or scramble/fail to pick up my records on the old one.
    My printer, Epsom SX535WD wireless. For some reason it will not now print off the records I have in the 2010 version when I want more than one page,double sided.
    It keeps saying I have the wrong paper size, although I have checked and confirm that it is A4 size paper in the printing preferences. This problem only appears to happen when using my Ancestry programme, all other printing jobs print out happly double sided.
    I wondered, because I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, the old 2010 programme cannot cope with Windows 7, hense the thinking I should upgrade to the latest 2014 programme.
    Cheers
    Dave.

David Annis

I have contacted A----try and they assure me that I can transfer from the old to the new with no problems. Ummm I will see what happens. No answer to the printer prob but hey ho one out of two.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't know anything about the 2014 version, but last year I upgraded FTM to 2012. Like all upgrades/ latter versions it is instantly disliked because it looks different to the previous tried and tested version, and then it does things slightly differently, and some of the report formats and tree formats are different, and those that you like from the old version might not be there any more.

Now I am quite at home using the newer version, but I still have a few regrets about what is no longer there. It's a bit like those conversations that start out with "When I was young ...."

I think that my message is that whatever you change to is likely to frustrating at first, but stick with it and it should get better as you get more familiar with it!

Hopefully that has not put you off!