Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

I can't be bothered to plough through all my reference material but I have a feeling that persons who weren't in houses weren't supposed to be included in the 1851 census.

For subsequent years there are explicit instructions for including "persons not dwelling in houses" but there are no such instructions for 1851.

You might find a book on the census useful. The National Archives bookshop have a good selection and some special offers at the moment. Something for your Xmas list?

Wilkes_ml

I have come across a whole family crossed out who were living in a house, but I can't remember which census it was. I came to the conclusion that they may have been mistakenly entered in the wrong enumeration district. If you actually browse the census images, the first page should always be an enumerators schedule detailing the roads and places to be covered by that enumerator, and if one family gets enumerated twice by different enumerators, and the mistake was noticed, then it may have been corrected by crossing the family out in one ED but not the other...but that was just my theory.

Thanks for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12