Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DAVID HART-ROSALIE SOHER

This new thread provides data on David Hart son of Michael Hart and Frances Davis. David Hart b Lynchburg Virginia 30 March 1836 died date unknown married Rosalie Soher b March 27 1829 New York in New York in 1864. Rosalie Soher was the daughter of Solomon Soher and Miriam Andrews- see American Jewish First Families genealogies for a family tree of the Soher line. There are no accurate records for the birth or death of Solomon Soher however there is a letter from Solomon Soher to Isaac Leeser in 1857 in which Solomon Soher writes from Shogalo Miss 26 May 1857 ( this letter is an orginal and is online) - In the letter Solomon Soher writes to Leeser regarding the establishment of a new congregation by Leeser and the letter gives a clue to the approximate age of Soher... " I am now over eighty years of age youth and manhood have both given way to the gray cold feelings of lifes decline..one of my nephews will go out north this summer and settle with you".
    Given the date of the letter and the statement from Soher of being over eighty this would give him an approximate age dob of 1770 - x years. His wife Miriam Andrews dob has been given as 1809 and a death year of 1880. This would suggest that Solomon Soher married later in life. Whether or not he was married before is not known.
    There are NY City Directory records for Miriam Soher 1857 h 86 Twelfth and in 1878 Miriam Soher widow SOLOMON h 12 w 45th. In "The Forerunners: Dutch Jewry in the North American Diaspora" Robert P Swierga,1994 ( Google Books - snippets online) reference is made to .. " Soher had left New Orleans for London after suffering financial difficulties in 1837.." and " Solomon Soher of Richmond and NY. He had come to New Orleans in 1822.."It appears that his wife Miriam and family remained in NY. In "The Early Jews of New Orleans" Bertram Wallace Korn,1969 ( Google Books snippets) reference was made ton Soher.." How much time Soher spent in New Orleans is uncertain. Some time in 1828 he married Haym Salomon's granddaughter Miriam Andrews.." The book also referred to the marriage record - On the 15th inst by the Rev J A Keys Mr Solomon Soher of the house of Soher,Goodman and Co New Orleans to Miss Ninian daughter of the late Joseph Andrews of this city."

The records on David Hart and Rosalie Hart are scant and I can't currently locate census and death records. The Passport Applications for Michael Hart son of David and Rosalie confirm that David Hart was dead by 1919.
    Phillip

Default SOLOMON SOHER b 1774 AUSTRIA-1850 US CENSUS

The 1850 US Census -5th Police District Carroll Mississippi M653 578 896 391 (Copyright National Archives,US) has a record for SOLOMON SOHER age 86 b Austria. He appears to be living with Solomon Hirsh age 40 Dry Goods Merchant b Germany and his wife and children although there is a Charles ? ( difficult to read surname) age 43 Dry Goods Merchant b Austria who appears above Solomon Soher. The age of 86 and a dob of 1774 appears also to match the reference made by Solomon Soher to his own age being more than 80 years in his letter to Isaac Leeser of 1857. I have no current confirmation as to when Solomon Soher died but suspect it was in Mississippi circa 1857-1860. The census record also indicates he was living separate from his wife and family for whatever reason.
    Phillip

This post provides an update on some missing data regarding David Hart ( son of Michael Hart and Frances Davis) and Rosalie Soher ( parents Solomon Soher and Miriam Andrews). The data can be seen on Familysearch website New York Municipal Deaths 1795-1949; New York City Marriage Records 1829-1940.
    It should be noted that transcription errors have recorded the surname of Rosalie Soher as TOHER/LOHER/SOTER

The first record relates to the Death of David Hart- born 1836 Lynchburg Virginia-Death 13 December 1887 Manhattan New York Parents Michael Hart b England; Fanny Hart b England- Age 51 Married Clerk Burial 15 December 1887

New York Marriage Records 1829-1940
    Rosalie LOHER ( this is a transcription error) 7 April 1864 age 25 b est 1839 New York- spouse David Hart 25 single b Lynchburg Va 1836

New York City Municipal Deaths 1795-1949

Michael Hart died 27 April 1936 b Manhattan NY age 71 Married b 28 November 1865 USA -father David Hart -mother Rosalie TOHER- spouse Martha Hart

I can't see a death record for Rosalie Hart nee Soher but noted Death Rosalie Hart 18 February 1890 Manhattan NY age 56 single b est 1834 NY Burial 20 February 1890 Salem Field L I - parents Morris Lebes/Miriam Lebes b Philadelphia- this record may have no relevance but I noted the surname Hart rather than the name Lebes but this maybe a 'long shot'.
    Phillip

Default MICHAEL HART 1865-1936

This is the Marriage of Michael Hart ( 2nd marriage) son of David Hart/Rosalie Soher- Family Search Records New York City Municipal Marriages
    Michael Hart 15 November 1933 Manhattan NY AGE 68b est 1865 father David Hart mother Rosalie SOTER( a transcription error on the surname SOHER)-spouse Marita GUTMAN age 54 b est 1879 -father Bernard COHN; mother Rebecca Van FLEET
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Hi Phillip hope you are well
    Michael and Frances do you have their marriage details, its just whilst I can see a variety of info on the American Census etc I cant find them in the records here which I find most curious (I could ofcourse be blind and losing the plot)

Kevin

Hi Kevin
    I have not seen a marriage record for Michael and Frances. It looks from records and the dob of their children that Michael was in USA circa early 1830s but I wondered if they married in England. Am still looking.
    Sincere apologies but as a reminder to me are we related via the Rosa Hart/Henry Moses line and were we in contact some years ago with Spike- World Connect family trees on the Hart/Moses.
    Phillip

Hi Kevin
    There are several records on Findmypast regarding Virginia Marriage Records- Michael Hart 1827 Southampton Virginia;1835 no details; Frances Davis 1833 Virginia; 1833 Frederick Virginia but I do not have a subscription to the site and can't confirm whether or not there is any relevance.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Hi some time ago with Ashers, Harts and a lovely one about Isaac Hart (nobody knows where he came from) marrying a Rachel Daniels (yet her father was a Martin) in partnership with an Abraham Toledano who was paid 90 pounds on his marriage to a poor girl Rachel Miranda (money given by Bevis Marks) I never followed up as I should because I was somewhat ill which is a pity as what you found out was fascinating because daniels/toledano are the same .. (Isaac and Rachel married in 1812)

As to the above l can find no trace of them

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Kevin
    There are several records on Findmypast regarding Virginia Marriage Records- Michael Hart 1827 Southampton Virginia;1835 no details; Frances Davis 1833 Virginia; 1833 Frederick Virginia but I do not have a subscription to the site and can't confirm whether or not there is any relevance.
    Phillip
    1827 is a funny one. It has the groom as George Branch and the bride as Michael Hart!
    1833 groom Harley Greenwood, second record Jesse Capps
    they are all on familysearch.org. There are no original images on there or Findmypast At least with familysearch.org you could order the film in to your nearest LDS centre

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Kevin, Christanel and other researchers
    As a help and guide to sources I looked at the following records in order to identify a Marriage between Michael Hart and Frances Davis-Ancestry.Com ( there are numerous Marriage records for the USA nd the following relate specifically to the time scale when Michael and Frances were likely to have married and bearing in mind their children were born in Lynchburg Virginia circa 1836 onwards) Virginia, Select Marriages 1785-1940; West Virginia Marriage Index 1785-1971; Virginia Marriages 1740-1850; Virginia Land, Marriages and Probate Records 1639-1850; New York City Marriages 1600s-1800s; New York Marriage Notices 1800-1855; NY Marriages Newspaper Extracts ( Barber Collection) 1801-1880- I looked at NY in case the couple located in the city pre Lynchburg.
    I also looked at Chronicling America Newspaper Archives; British Newspaper Archives; Synagogue Scribes records.Family search also have numerous records.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast