Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Shelley, see #8. It is possible both Edith May Cooke's were Benjamin Henry's and Emily's.

No worries hun, I won't tell your hubby And isn't ignorance bliss, or so the saying goes

Crossed posts, Shelley. But as I said it's possible both Edith Mays were born to Emily. Fingers crossed.

lazywillie

Ah you made my day for sure! Had a little chuckle...yes ignorance is bliss!

lazywillie

Should I go ahead and order that birth certificate as well?

I'd wait until the one you've ordered arrives, but if parents are Emily and Benjamin you'll not know for sure if she's the Edith May who died Dec qrt 1890, and the 1892 is also their daughter

Oh crikey Shelley, I don't know what to recommend. Incidentally do you know when ordering certificates from GRO you can stipulate a checking point? For example mother's maiden name, first name or father's first name, however if you stipulated MMN Ballinger and it's entered as Bellinger the GRO won't send it. The advantage of a checking point is if your stipulation doesn't match, you won't be charged.

I'm still having no luck with Henry Benjamin. He's a real puzzle. I've tried all kinds of searches, also Canada and Australia; can't find a death or marriage in England. It's odd, you'd think as his brothers were sent to Canada he would have been too. Have you checked sisters of Benjamin and Emily to see if he was with them, maybe informally adopted and used their surname?

lazywillie

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I'd wait until the one you've ordered arrives, but if parents are Emily and Benjamin you'll not know for sure if she's the Edith May who died Dec qrt 1890, and the 1892 is also their daughter

Oh crikey Shelley, I don't know what to recommend. Incidentally do you know when ordering certificates from GRO you can stipulate a checking point? For example mother's maiden name, first name or father's first name, however if you stipulated MMN Ballinger and it's entered as Bellinger the GRO won't send it. The advantage of a checking point is if your stipulation doesn't match, you won't be charged.

I'm still having no luck with Henry Benjamin. He's a real puzzle. I've tried all kinds of searches, also Canada and Australia; can't find a death or marriage in England. It's odd, you'd think as his brothers were sent to Canada he would have been too. Have you checked sisters of Benjamin and Emily to see if he was with them, maybe informally adopted and used their surname?
    I don't know where to stipulate when ordering the certificates. I didn't see a place to leave a query.
    I think I have checked the census for Benjamin and Emily's siblings. Will have to recheck but there are things I don't understand...is all the little counties and parishes.
    I don't understand the Worcestershire's and Warwickshire's and such... I am truly inept when it comes to that as I realize I don't know much about England.
    So it makes it hard for me to know If I have the wrong people or not. So, it puts me in a real pickle.
    I know what you mean when it comes to Benjamin as he is as elusive as ever. Especially when you can't find a death for him.
    Shelley

Hi Shelley,

To order a certificate with check points instead of using the GRO index ref number (example 1a/234) on the first application page headed Certificate Choice a question asked is: Is the GRO Index Reference Number known? tick the NO box, on the next page, after clicking 'submit' you'll be presented with options for Particulars of the person whose certificate is required there are some required fields and below them are boxes to enter say father's forename or mother's maiden surname.

This site is very useful for UK geography and FH, https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/

You can then navigate to Worcestershire https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WOR/

And from Worcestershire move to Kidderminster or wherever you'd like to visit. From Kidderminster you can get a list of nearby places and other information.

Hope it helps.

lazywillie

I had no idea. Well I guess will do that for next birth certificate. Thanks Almach

lazywillie

I have checked the Census's for all the siblings belonging to Emily Ballenger and Benjamin Henry Cooke. The only two sticking points with Emily sister are I don't have any thing on Martha except the 1871 Census then lost her and ditto for Ann except I have her in 1861 Census.
    Benjamin sibling's, I am missing the 1901 and 1911 Census,s for Thomas, Eleanor have only the 1881 Census for her and the rest checks out. They don't have Benjamin staying with them.

lazywillie

I don't have Edith nor Nellie in 1901 Census but may have a possibility of the two of them together in a 1911 Census ( only coincidental because of the Ballinger and Cooke names).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast