Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chrisdawson1947

Default Does anyone know how to find this out

Hi my name is Chris
    And I've been on a journey trying to find out about my family I have found out that my grandfather who died by his own hand in 1912 and I'm trying to find out where he is buried if he was buried as I don't know if in 1912 would he be aloud to be buried in a cemetery as he took his own life if anyone has any ideas I would be great-full
    Thank Chris.

If you tell us names and dates I am pretty sure that at least one of our members will be able to help you.

So the name of your ancestor, the area he lived in 1912 and anything else you can tell us.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Chrisdawson1947

Hi sorry I did not give the name it was Harry Bertie Isaac and he died on the 30 Augest 1912 brentford Middlesex his inquest was held on the 2 September 1912
    Thanks Chris

Knowledgeable and helpful

New Brentford Cemetery was used from 1903 for this area...........you could try contacting them

I think by the time your ancestor committed suicide he would have been buried by the church especially if he was pronounced insane at time of suicide.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep View Post
    New Brentford Cemetery was used from 1903 for this area...........you could try contacting them

I think by the time your ancestor committed suicide he would have been buried by the church especially if he was pronounced insane at time of suicide.
    You're right. I have an ancestor who committed suicide in 1870 (the coroner's verdict was 'temporary insanity', a fairly common verdict by then to avoid the 'suicide' issue). His name is on the headstone of the family grave and his burial recorded in the parish register.

Chrisdawson1947

Hi thanks for that on his death certificate it says suicide by hanging whilst of unsound mind

Reputation beyond repute

he died on the 30 Augest 1912 brentford Middlesex
    Assuming you do mean he died in Brentford itself (and not just Brentford registration district) and assuming his family home was in Brentford, contact the cemeteries department of the relevant local council (Hounslow, presumably) and ask.

"Unsound mind" means that the suicide wouldn't be an issue in choosing a burial place.
    Have you checked the papers of the time? One of the 19th century farmers in my OPS shot himself just after he gave an "I'm retiring" party for his workers, and the inquest was extensively covered in the local paper.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Chris, I'm guessing that a regular cemetery would accept his burial /cremation but not in the 'hallowed' grounds of particular Church areas.
    I tried for a newspaper report but found nothing.
    Have you followed his children in their lives to see if anyone had knowledgeable memories?
    Perhaps memoriums in newspapers?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Chrisdawson1947

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    "Unsound mind" means that the suicide wouldn't be an issue in choosing a burial place.
    Have you checked the papers of the time? One of the 19th century farmers in my OPS shot himself just after he gave an "I'm retiring" party for his workers, and the inquest was extensively covered in the local paper.
    Hi I have tried the news paper archives but they are relocating and I will not be able to access them until march 2014 and then not all the local papers will be available the rest will not be available until lat 2014
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast