Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

deceased online has some of the London Cemetery burial & Cremation registers available (pay per view) A quick search shows a Henry Isaac buried 31st August 1912 at Charlton Cemetery, Greenwich, but this could be someone different entirely. Unfortunately the free index doesn't give an age.

If I recall, many Londoners were buried in Cemeteries away from where they came, in the suburbs due to lack of space.

edited to say that a Henry Isaac b. 1871 died in 1912 in the Woolwich registration district, so the above burial is probably him.

Chrisdawson1947

Hi the registration district is given as Brentford the sub-district of Hanwell the family's address was lower Boston road hanwell
    Chris

Reputation beyond repute

So he died in Hanwell not in Brentford?

Hanwell is in the London Borough of Ealing whose Cemeteries Department I would advise you to contact.

Chrisdawson1947

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    So he died in Hanwell not in Brentford?

Hanwell is in the London Borough of Ealing whose Cemeteries Department I would advise you to contact.
    Thanks for that Peter I will try them and see what they say
    Thanks Chris

pippycat

Although there are many place Harry could have been buried, there are 2 large cemeteries only a stones throw from where he was living in 1911 (assuming I have the correct person!).

His actual address probably should have been Du Burstow Terrace, Hanwell - not Duberstow/Burstow as is on the census.

There are 2 confusing cemeteries, both are named Hanwell Cemetery and situated one either side of the Uxbridge Road in Hanwell, Ealing, virtually opposite each other!

One was originally called Westminster City Cemetery and is still maintained by Westminster City Council - known locally as Hanwell Cemetery.
    The other is the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Cemetery, known as that and still maintained by Kensington and Chelsea.

Harry is not listed on Find a Grave at either of these cemeteries but that doesn't mean he is not there.

Harry could be buried elsewhere if the burial is in the Brentford Registration district...there are about 12 or 15 Churches in the Ealing area alone. I think St Mary's is the parish Church for that particular area.

As you have to start somewhere, why not try an email to both Westminster and Chelsea council's
    - I found them very helpful last year when I was looking for burial of someone because they told me the person I was searching wasn't buried in either of those cemeteries.
    Maybe you will get the same sort of help and it could rule in/out 2 places for you.

emails:

info (At) westminster (Dot) gov (Dot) uk
    chelsea (Dot) registeroffice (At) rbkc (Dot) gov (Dot) uk

Rebecca

Chrisdawson1947

Tanks for that Rebecca I will send them an email
    Chris

Chrisdawson1947

Harry was born in 1882 and was 29 at the time of his death
    Chris

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Ask also about cremation. I don't know if those particular areas had crematoriums at that time but a google will soon tell you.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pippycat

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdawson1947 View Post
    Hi the registration district is given as Brentford the sub-district of Hanwell the family's address was lower Boston road hanwell
    Chris
    Lower Boston Road is the main road which runs between Ealing and the Brentford area - Du Burstow Terrace being just off this main road at the Hanwell/Ealing end.

I've been trying to find family of Harry to see if there might be any clues as to where he might have been buried.
    I presume if there was a family plot you would have mentioned it

Is Harry the son of Thomas John Isaac, a stonemason and Lydia? (living 2 Queen Street)
    Harry Bertie Isaac born 23 Dec 1881 and baptised 28 May 1882 Parish of Camberwell, Surrey
    - his brother Albert Edward born 26 Aug 1879? and baptised at the same time.
    These and other children baptisms on Ancestry.

I'm assuming (again!) its the correct family and Harry's parents lived around Camberwell and Mitcham area from at least 1871.

Seems Harry's father Thomas John died between 1891 - 1901, have you any idea about his death Chris?
    3 of Harry's brothers died local: George 1945 Wandsworth. William F 1901 and Edward A 1922 both Croydon.

Harry was in Plymouth till 1908, then his son Reginald born 1908 Mitcham - on to Ealing 1910 for birth of daughter Blanche...so he wasn't in Ealing long.
    In that case, I wonder if Harry might have been buried close or with any of his family?

- suppose it depends who was dealing with the death arrangements at the time, might have chosen close to home or with family or anywhere else!

Feel free to call me barmy going down this route Chris, its just an idea!

The other one I had was Mortlake Cemetery, Richmond, Surrey.
    Sounds a long way but its actually not too far from any of the areas mentioned: 3 miles from Brentford, about 5 from Hanwell, 7 from Mitcham and not much further to Camberwell.

Another email if you wish to pursue my daft ideas:
    cemeteries (At) richmond (Dot) gov (Dot) uk.

I doubt Ealing Council will be overly helpful, not unless you pay many £ for their ridiculous search fees .....however there may be a Blue Moon every now and again and you strike lucky
    Doesn't apply to individual Cemetery staff, I've always found them helpful - but its finding the correct Cemetery in the first place!

Rebecca

added:
    Seeing Wendy's reply made me remember that Mortlake also have a Crematorium.
    Last edited by pippycat; 25-11-2013 at 9:53 PM. Reason: added info

Chrisdawson1947

You have the right family Reginald Isaac was in fact my father he changed his name to Issa/dawson when my grandmother re married and later after WW2 he dropped the Isaac all together don't know why
    Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast