Thread: Clophouse?

Wilkes_ml

Default Clophouse?

In the mid 1700s at Saffron Walden, there was the Workhouse (for the poor), the Almshouse (for the elderly}, the Pest House (for the contagious) but also a "ClopHouse" from which a single man John Townsend was brought to be buried.

Does anyone know what a Clophouse was?

gasser

The nearest explanation I can find for this is flophouse which was a refuge for the poor, like a dosshouse. Other than that, I am at a loss!!!

Reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's an institution?

In the 1881 census there's a farm called Cloppers or Cloppins

Wilkes_ml

Peter, I did wonder that myself, but none of the other entries had the places where they lived recorded (and I've gone through the whole register now from 1749 to 1793), only those from the work house, the almhouses and one from the Pest house. And also the fact it said "from the Clophouse" rather than "of Clophouse" made me suspect it must be some type of institute.

Wilkes_ml

I'm just going through the register again to find the entry in 1761, and it does actually say "from Clophouse" rather than from "the Clophouse" so maybe it isn't an institute at all, but as you say a place. However in the 15 years prior to this only a few people had their place of origin recorded

in 1750 Martha wife of William OWENS of Claypits buried

and 1753 Elizabeth daughter of Richard BAINS of Pounce Hall

1755 Mary MASON widow from Sheerhill {Shirehill} near Saffron Walden

and a couple from Sow's End/Sewer's End

a few other people are recorded as being of other parishes such as Little Walden, Littlebury & Hadstock and one from Suffolk.

I would have thought if it was an area of Saffron Walden, the name would have cropped up again, but if it was an institution, then It should have cropped up even more!