Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default The Christian Age

I have two bound copies of the above weekly magazine (The Christian Age) for 1876 and 1877.

There is no detail of the publishers,I imagine the covers were removed before binding.

I am intrigued as to the history/background of this weekly publication, when did it start and finish and who published it? was it an inter-denominational magazine or a non-conformist one.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts or info?

I think my son saw them at a car boot sale or in a second hand bookshop some years ago and thought that I would find them interesting.

radstockjeff

Try searching the catalogues of one of the main libraries - maybe he British Library. If hey have it, they should give full details.

Reputation beyond repute

As Lesley suggests, try the British Library Newspaper Catalogue. It's not available just at the moment or I would have looked for you.

pippycat

Internet found mention of "The Christian Age" in relation to a Rev Thomas C Jacob.

The article is about the Rev Jacob but it states "when at Hatherleigh he wrote for The Christian Age a sketch of Dr Keen"

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ob_thomas.html

It might be the same paper, but its of no help tracing it.

.....unless its "The Christian Age: A Sunday Paper for Home Reading" published by Richard D Dickinson 1876.
    AbeBooks goes on to describe how this volume is bound for the purpose of selling it.

Rebecca

gasser

this might be of interest as there is a mention of 'The Christian Age', brought out by a John Lobb in 1871, on this page - you need to scroll down page (about two-thirds the way down) www.
    keithshistories.com/extra-pages-to-wrn/religious-newspapers-in-the-nineteenth-century.php#_ftn23
    and this tiny snippet reveals it was published from 1871-1917 https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=h...1-1917&f=false

Reputation beyond repute

The BL catalogue says it was first published in 1871 and was later known as the Christian Age and Sunday Reader (1907) and Christian Age and Sunday Pictures (1912). It ceased publication in 1917.

You may be able to glean the denomination involved from the content.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Thanks to all who have responded. I can now move forward with some firm ideas and leads

radstockjeff