Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost deceased

Loves to help with queries

Good grief, it does get worse! You are doing a tremendous job. I very nearly didn't bother posting this quandry, and look where it has lead. Thank you so much!

ancestry.com.au actually has 14 Police gazette reportings for Herbert John/Darcy Lawrence. Is there any chance of you accessing ancestry at your local library? If not then I will snip and send via your private email address which you can send via private message.

I had to laugh. The description of him become less flattering as he gets older!

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

lawsue

This thread has got me intrigued. Would love to know if there is a final outcome.
    I was checking Queensland BDM's for a hint but only found a Herbert Joe Lawrence that died in 1956. Not even close.

Hi lawsue
    I have had a houseful of visitors for the last couple of hours so haven't looked any further but it is intriguing isn't it?
    I am going to send the other snips about Herbert John's shenanigans to Linda by email but when I have done it I will put a précis on here so we all know where we are up to.

Christanel
    William Burroughs

Herbert John Lawrence deserted his wife Mary nee Dickinson and their children in 1918. Over the years he was issued with magisterial orders to pay support. Then to add to his woes he bigamously married Pearl Crump in 1927 using the name Darcy Herbert Lawrence. Registration 8470/1927 Lismore. In 1929 there is a magisterial order for the support of his wife, who legally speaking is Mary. Where there any children from his bigamous marriage to Pearl? NSW BMD's only allow a search for births up to 1912 so no help there. I did search for deaths with father's name Darcy or Herbert, mother Pearl but they only go to 1982 so could be too early.

Christanel
    William Burroughs

Yes I looked for children of Pearl. There is a Pearl Lawrence marrying a Percy Chesworth. But that is getting off the beaten track. I didn't know about Pearl until your find yesterday. I don't know whether Mary and HJL had more children than HJL junior. Mary's father's death notice referred to "Mary and family" which sort of indicates more than 1 child. Doesn't matter, it is the HJL line I am tracking. So grateful for your interest.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi JandL. I know that this thread is from 2013, however we have only just located this on google and have now discovered why we couldn't find any birth/death for a Darcy Herbert Lawrence. My grandmother was Pearl Lawrence (nee Cramp). She married Darcy Herbert Lawrence in Lismore NSW 1927 so I am guessing my mother Mary Lawrence is one of the children of the bigamist relationship Darcy had with Pearl. They had two children, my mother Mary in 1927 and then a son Leslie in 1931. I found many Police Gazette's with warrants for desertion - a few made by his wife Mary and then a few made by my grandmother Pearl. I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but thought I would post this just in case.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christanel, I know that this thread is from 2013, however we have only just located this on google and have now discovered why we couldn't find any birth/death for a Darcy Herbert Lawrence. My grandmother was Pearl Lawrence (nee Cramp). She married Darcy Herbert Lawrence in Lismore NSW 1927 so I am guessing my mother Mary Lawrence is one of the children of the bigamist relationship Darcy had with Pearl. They had two children, my mother Mary in 1927 and then a son Leslie in 1931. I found many Police Gazette's with warrants for desertion - a few made by his wife Mary and then a few made by my grandmother Pearl. I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but thought I would post this just in case.

Smile Lawrence

Received your message regarding Herbert J Lawrence (or Darcy, as you know him). When I researched him in 2013 I didn't find his death record, and I haven't looked since. I believe he was born in Liverpool in 1887 with a father recorded as Herbert J and Mother Catherine. However I believe his father was Samuel Lawrence, that his parents married in in 1868 in Bathurst district. When his mother, Catherine, died in 1927, Herbert's name is mentioned in the death notice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123