Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    booklady

Question Interested in Penryndeudraeth

I have today received a birth certificate for my Grandfather. He was born in Penryndeudraeth at Llwn Ednyfed in 1905. Does anyone know what sort of place Llwn Ednyfed was or is it still there?

For some reason there are no details at all for the Father yet the birth has been registered by the occupier of Llwn Ednyfed not by the mother.

This is the only way I can think of to find out infomation as the names involved are Williams and Jones so I'm afraid without information on the place it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Many thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

Wirral

If there were no details of the father, then it is likely that the birth was illegitimate. Maybe Llwn Ednyfed was a home for unmarried mothers.
    It's a beautiful part of the country. To the north & east are the mountains of Snowdonia, to the south the "Afon Dwyryd", the river which flows into Cardigan bay just north of Harlech. A couple of miles from where we go camping.

booklady

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for replying Wirral. I thought it might be a home for unmarried mothers too. It also states she was a Domestic Servant in Ffestiniog. I was hoping that someone might know if the building is still there and called that and whether any locals have any information on the dwelling. How big would you say Penryndeudraeth is these days? Obviously it would have been smaller then.

Wirral

I think I would class it as a large village now. Although it might have been bigger in the 19thC as Blaenau Ffestiniog was a huge slate mining area. Portmadog was built to export the slate worldwide & Penryndeudraeth was on the railway line between the two.

booklady

Question

Thanks again Wirral. Can I pick your brains again?

I've been doing a search on the 1901 census as the birth certificate I have is for 1905. I can't find anything coming up at all for Penryndeudraeth. I've tried searching for Penryndeudraeth as a place and I've done additional searches for Llys Ednyfed as the address and Penryndeudraeth as the place. I have also tried Penryn* and there is just nothing. Any ideas?

Wirral

It had an h in the name then - Penrhyndeudraeth.

booklady

Default Thanks yet again

Of course it did! Here I am typing it from the birth certificate and I still missed it out. Still can't get anything for that particular address LLys Ednyfed doesn't appear to be an institute either. Have tried searching for the person who registered the birth in 1905 and I have two possibles but neither have a middle name so it could just be that a totally different David Jones moved to the area. This really is a needle in a haystack. Have you any ideas on how I can progress further?

As she was a Domestic Servant in 1905 I have guessed at her being one in 1901 and have got the details for one Jane Williams but there were loads in the area. I know that on the birth certificate it says she was a domestic servant festiniog so I have found one which is a domestic servant but I suppose any of the other Jane's who were under 16 at the time could have been the one.

booklady

Default domestic servant

I mean I guess she was a domestic servant in 1901 not aged 1

Wirral

According to my Welsh dictionary (given to me a few years ago & never used in anger before!), Llys = court, hall or palace. Somewhere i came across Ednyfed & it was the name of one of the Welsh kings. Maybe you have blue blood! . Alternatively, try looking for Ednyfed Hall as an institution name, or just Ednyfed on its own.

Wirral

Found him!
    1901 census RG13/5256 page 12 folio 118 Festiniog Union Workhouse, Penrhyndaedreuth, Merionethshire

David John Jones, head, married, 46 workhouse master

There is only 1 Jane Jones in the workhouse then, inmate, single, 39, born Caernarvon Criccieth.

Looks like your girl probably went to the workhouse just to have her baby
    The good news is that there may still exist workhouse records. The authorities were very reluctant to give help without lots of paperwork & there may even be an order against the father of the child to support him. Maybe also addresses for the girl when she came in to the workhouse & when she left.

Forgot to say. The property next door to the Workhouse is called Cae Ednyfed (Ednyfed's Field)

Here is a link to the workhouse site - pictures & all. I recognised it!
    https://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhou...estiniog.shtml
    Last edited by Wirral; 24-08-2005 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Cae Ednyfed, link to workhouse site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast