l'm trying to find out whether my GGrandfather's son William John Courts born 1875 in Poplar ended up in Wandsworth Prison and if there are any court records l could track down. He lived with his parents James and Eleanor in Poplar until the 1891 census occupation a Cooper, the next sign of him is in the 1901 census where he is a prisoner at West Ham Police Station, after that l only find him in the 1911 cenus a patient in the Horton Asylum in Epsom. l've not been able to find anything more about him at all until l found a reference to him in the Settlement and Removal Orders online where on the 4/12/1905 he is described as a pauper lunatic and has been removed from Wandworth on the order of a medical practitioner and a Justice of the Peace and placed into Horton Asylum to remain there, so he was still there 6 years later in 1911, what puzzles me is why was he in Wandsworth at all, our family have never had any connections or family in that area and the only conclusion l can come to is that he was sentenced and sent to Wandsworth Prison and when released ended up a pauper with some kind of mental illness.
l've checked the 0ld Baily online site without finding him and so think that he may have been tried for whatever reason at a local Magistrates court in West Ham or thereabouts, where to look is my problem. l've tried to find a marriage or death for him without any luck so would be grateful for any help or advice or even any opinions regarding my idea of him having been in Wandsworth Prison, and what could have happened to him if he ever did leave the asylum.

Thanks very much, Valman.