Charles Rignall

Default Family legend, atom of truth?

Hello.

I have a brick wall - I have William and Margaret Fleming, who were in London around 1797 (birth of first child in England). Beyond the names of their children, I do not know anything else about them.

But - I had my mtDNA tested and, since Margaret Fleming is in my direct maternal line, was interested to find I had a fairly close match to someone with ancestors in Forfarshire aka Angus. I have no paper trail at all to those folks (which is what a brick wall is, after all.)

Enter the family legend. One of my ancestors (Joseph Buck) was an organ builder (this is true; he was born in 1803 in London) and supposedly was summoned or assigned to a private school in Scotland to do some work. There he allegedly met young Margaret Fleming and swept her off her feet - carried her away, in one version. This legend is not true. The Margaret Fleming who married Joseph Buck was born in 1803 and christened at St. Andrew by the Wardrobe. Her parents were the aforementioned William and Margaret Fleming.

Now. Joseph Buck's father was named Robert Buck, and though I do not know what his occupation was for certain, in the records for Joseph's assumed siblings he is shown as an organ builder. (As was, I believe his father, another Joseph, mentioned in the records of the Old Bailey, but this has yet to be proven.) Anyway, Robert Buck was married to a woman named Ann. It may be that the Scotland story somehow relates to them.

At this point I have more or less lost track of my question, but that is what brick walls do to people. Is there anybody out there who can give me an idea of how to see if there is any truth to this anecdote?

Charlie Rignall

I found this languishing in the Argyll forum, and thought it might attract more attention here since Angus is mentioned.