MarkProctor

Post Thinking about Legacy 7.5 Deluxe

Have not got any PC software at all yet, but looking at Legacy 7.5 Deluxe. It seems that it is able to re-number individuals while the other 2 main programs (FTM & RootsMagic) do not include that function. I see lots of posts from FTM and RootsMagic users, Legacy posts are few.

My question is to those that do use Legacy 7.5 deluxe, especially those imputing both UK and USA data/people, what pitfalls did you encounter and were they easily resolved ?

Selection of genealogy software can be a very personal thing - I remember trying at least 3 before I settled on one that suited my requiremements. Looking at their website, I see that the standard Legacy edition is free, so why not try it, and then if you like it you can upgrade to the deluxe.

Most genealogy software these days can export files in a format known as gedcom which can be read by other programmes. This means that if you do try one programme and then decide that you'd rather have another one, you don't have to re-type everything, although if you've filled your file with photos and other extras, they may not transfer. It's best to keep things reasonably simple until you're sure you've found the right software for your needs.

Good luck!

Hi
    I found a few sites which review Legacy 7.5 and many other programs just by typing 'legacy 7.5 reviews' in to a search engine.

One I looked at , GenSoftReviews has reviews by users of various software but there are others I didn't investigate.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

CanadianCousin

I've been using Legacy for the last 10 - 12 years, and have been very satisfied. Although a U.S. product, and some of the help files reflect this (e.g., it suggests using a town/county/state/country location format), it's very flexible, and lets you set up most things any way you want. I suspect that most people, including myself, don't take advantage of half the options available with the program, probably because it's so easy and straightforward just using the basic settings/controls. My ancestry is entirely English and Irish and I haven't had any problems.

Using the Standard (free) Edition is probably worthwhile just to get a feel for things, but I find the Deluxe features well worth the price, especially the chart creation add-on. You should be aware that Legacy 8.0 is due to be released sometime soon, but I *think* if you buy Version 7.5 now that you'll be entitled to a free upgrade when the new version comes out (you should confirm this). Incidentally, the program is usually updated every couple of months (to fix bugs, sometimes to introduce new features) and these updates are completely free, both for Standard and Deluxe users. I think it's been about three years since I bought Legacy 7.0, and it hasn't cost me anything to update all the way to 7.5.

I don't want to suggest that Legacy is necessarily better than any other competing program - I suspect they're all quite similar in terms of features and capabilities, and that it's largely a question of personal taste which you find easiest (least frustrating) to work with. However, I can say as a long-time Legacy user that I've been very pleased with it.

Hope this helps -

Tim

thewideeyedowl

Default Have you looked at Family Historian?

Hi Mark

There are other useful posts in this thread, and I cannot comment either on reviews for Legacy or as a user of the program. However, I too am now in the position to know that I MUST do something about my notes and files and overcome my fears of genealogy software. (The core problem, for me, is that I just cannot get the hang of using a database. I just do not think in the same way as a db program, which caused endless frustration in a recent part-time job!)

A few years ago, before I got serious, I (unwisely) bought Roots Magic without giving it a try first. Grrh... I just couldn't get on with it, and it annoyed me intensely. So that one was abandoned. Recently, I have been trying the free open-source program GRAMPS; again, couldn't get on with it, so that one was abandoned.

When time allows, I will be trying Family Historian v5, which is produced by a UK company, on a 30-day free trial. (Because of forum rules, I cannot give you a link but if you type this, converting to internet punctuation, you should get there: wwwdotfamilyhyphenhistoriandotcodotuk.) If you then navigate to Features, you will find 'Philosophy and Goals' and - of course - a list of features. The underlying philosophy strikes a chord; plus, the program says you can produce books/booklets. (I am a 'word' person, and that is what I want to do.)

But it really is a matter of personal choice - one thing suits one person, another thing suits another.

Forgive me for not answering the question as asked. But if you haven't made a decision yet, I'd say just go on thinking around the subject. (And if you do plump for Legacy, I'd love to know how you find it as a first-time user.....)

Have to swoop off to get cooking.

The Wideeyed Owl

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I began with Legacy 4.0. Upped to 5.0 Deluxe then a few years ago when it would no longer take anymore entries I updated to 7.0 Deluxe.
    While pondering update I tried & bought Rootsmagic 4 & upped to 5. It's okay but not as clear flowing as Legacy for me. Perhaps due to familiarity with Legacy.

It has everything I need & lots I haven't taken the time to pay with yet.
    my only recent upset was in using a programme to transfer to disc which messed things about a bit, but was not an actual part of Legacy,(which I discovered after the event).

Overall a very simple software to use even tho' as Tim has said, very USA minded.

Regular updates (which tend to end after a newer version comes out) & frequent online assistance with videos to watch if you have the time. I don't! They may have been a boon in my starting days.
    Also online goodies to buy which may be a great help, too many to put here. Also bargains with books etc.

Do try some free starters tho' as every one has different requirements & opinions.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

I use the standard free version. It does everything that I need and the best part is that it is free.
    As said before, try before you buy

MarkProctor

Trying out the free version, having to put in my wife's side manually as the Gedcom generated from the My Heritage online site did not include her or my 2 children ????

Wally Masters

Default Thinking about Legacy 7.5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by MarkProctor View Post
    Have not got any PC software at all yet, but looking at Legacy 7.5 Deluxe. It seems that it is able to re-number individuals while the other 2 main programs (FTM & RootsMagic) do not include that function. I see lots of posts from FTM and RootsMagic users, Legacy posts are few.

My question is to those that do use Legacy 7.5 deluxe, especially those imputing both UK and USA data/people, what pitfalls did you encounter and were they easily resolved ?
    Hi Mark,
    When I started doing my Family History I tried quite a few programs, but after trying Legacy I've stuck with it. I'm now up to 7.5 and I have used the Deluxe version for the last 10 years.
    I cannot recommend it HIGHLY enough. It is the best program I've ever used and I will never
    change from it. Legacy does not only changes numbers you can change many things from a single item to multiple items in just one click.

You ask what pitfalls I've come up against and I can honestly say I can't recall ever having a
    problem with it. I'll rephrase that, the only problem I've had is deciding what colours to use
    in setting up my program.

Now that I have answered you I must ask you a question.
    Do your PROCTOR family have ties to mine from Hitchum, Suffolk, England.

you can email me at; [email protected]

Cheers
    Geoff