Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    thewideeyedowl

Default What about 'Nelly'?

Hi Peter

You have found so much while I have been away - it is really quite amazing. Thank you so much. Have just been doing some quick searches on FreeBMD and found this birth registration, but it is 1884:
    EZARD, Nelly Sep Qtr 1884 Wirral Vol 8a p456. Might that, possibly, be the young Ellen who went to Canada? (Perhaps registered/known as Nelly to distinguish her from Mum?) And this is young Annie: EZARD, Annie Mar Qtr 1887 Wirral Vol 8a p437.

I think this is probably Mum Ellen's birth: COY, Ellen Jun Qtr 1865 West Derby Vol 8b p353.

As ever, all the new info emerging raises more questions than it answers: What happened to Mum Ellen? Why did the children go to Canada with their uncle and aunt? Have we got the right kids? Why and when had the COYs senior emigrated? What was Arthur doing all this time? (Carpentering?) Had there been the most almighty bust-up? What happened? If you look back at the photo of Arthur you can see how sad he looked in 1919; and he also cuts a lonely figure in a small group Golden Wedding photo of his brother Joseph and wife in 1924

Following your post about an Arthur and a Trades Union, I investigated those - briefly. The relevant archives are at the Univ of Warwick, but licensed to FMP, presumably. Noticed that there were two Unions - Amalgamated Union of Carpenters & Joiners and also the Amalgamated Union of Carpenters, Joiners & Cabinetmakers. (There might have been the word 'Mutual' somewhere in the title - should have noted it down; also, perhaps the Unions amalgamated???)

I do not currently have a sub to either of the big sites, but try to use any free or discounted times; plus, I most definitely will take out short-term (month) subs as and when I have got a long enough list of stuff that can be viewed only on Anc or FMP; simply doing rather a lot of other things at the moment.

Once again many many thanks for all your help.

Owl

PS It hasn't escaped my notice that it was the thread on "Women's Equality" that has resulted on all these invisible females emerging from the mist. Admittedly, Ellen has vanished again!

Findem

Noting the other day your comment "but try to use any free or discounted times", I thought you might be interested in the following which is an extract from the GenesReunited March Newsletter which arrived today.

"Do you have Irish ancestors and want to find out more about them? Findmypast have the largest collection of Irish records anywhere online, and with a 14 day free trial you can start exploring them today!"

Not sure if the 14 day Free Trial applies to all records, which I suspect it might, it might be worth your while to check it out.

Regards

thewideeyedowl

Default Research summary to date

Many thanks to everyone who is taking an interest in this research thread on the descendants of William EZARD 1812-1886. All this help is very greatly appreciated.

In #1, I listed the nine EZARD children. Info has now emerged on 2. 'Bessy', actually Betsey; 7. William (a descendant has joined the thread); and 8. Arthur. I already have info on 1. Mary Jane, 5. Joseph (my great-grandfather) and also, a little, on 9. Herbert - none of those have been posted publicly. This leaves three daughters:

3. Eliza b1846
    4. Emma b1848
    6. Annie b1852

Can anyone lend a hand with those? Yes, it's three more 'invisible women'! Please post if you have sighted them or have any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Owl

fromwirral

Dear Owl and others

looking in my family file, i have found some notes my late mother-in-law had done on my Ezard family...Before William b 1812 married to Hannah Roling.. She has:
    -his father as George Ezard b 1779 in Hunmanby nr Filey married to a Mary,
    -George's mother was Jane Ezard b Reighton 1757 https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...1757-1800.html where we find quite a few Ezards !! and one Jane baptised March 30 "d/o Francis Ezard other children of Francis: John 1761, WIlliam b 1759, Nelly b 1768, we also have a Frances Ezart b 1763, and an alternative father Francis Ezart
    - her father Francis Ezart (sic) b 1728 Reighton - I add a burial note for Francis Ezart Sept 6 1764 plus an Annn w/o Francis Ezard Sept 29 1769 - not sure if that is the same Ezart/Ezard, there is another burial for a widow Ann Ezard Oct 24 1780
    plus a marriage for Jane Ezard to George Clarkson of Bridlington in 1780
    I don't know how far your research has gone, but thought this might be helpful, I am also not sure where my mother-in-law got her info,
    best wishes
    fromWirral

Quote Originally Posted by thewideeyedowl View Post
    Many thanks to everyone who is taking an interest in this research thread on the descendants of William EZARD 1812-1886. All this help is very greatly appreciated.

In #1, I listed the nine EZARD children. Info has now emerged on 2. 'Bessy', actually Betsey; 7. William (a descendant has joined the thread); and 8. Arthur. I already have info on 1. Mary Jane, 5. Joseph (my great-grandfather) and also, a little, on 9. Herbert - none of those have been posted publicly. This leaves three daughters:

3. Eliza b1846
    4. Emma b1848
    6. Annie b1852

Can anyone lend a hand with those? Yes, it's three more 'invisible women'! Please post if you have sighted them or have any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Owl

Brick wall demolition expert!

There's a family tree on Ancestry which has Annie marrying Joseph Lee 24 Feb 1873 in Manchester St Mary, St Denys and St George.

William and Emma were witnesses.

In the 1881 Census Piece 3573 Folio 49 Page 12 Wirral.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Emma
    1871 census: Piece 4487 Folio 28 Page 2
    1881 Census: Piece: 4803; Folio: 130; Page: 77

Possible marriage 1885 Scarborough to either George Lumas or Charles Gray
    Or
    1890 Bridlington to either William Knaggs or Reuben Williamson

thewideeyedowl

EZARD is now registered as a One-Name Study with the Guild of One-Name Studies. If you are interested in the Yorkshire EZARD family in this thread, please check out: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ighlight=EZARD.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Just to bring some of the different strands of research together - I am really getting ready to move house in the next month or two, but Brit Gen is addictive...

Quote Originally Posted by fromwirral View Post
    Dear Owl and others

looking in my family file, i have found some notes my late mother-in-law had done on my Ezard family...Before William b 1812 married to Hannah Roling.. She has:
    -his father as George Ezard b 1779 in Hunmanby nr Filey married to a Mary,
    -George's mother was Jane Ezard b Reighton 1757 https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...1757-1800.html where we find quite a few Ezards !! and one Jane baptised March 30 "d/o Francis Ezard other children of Francis: John 1761, WIlliam b 1759, Nelly b 1768, we also have a Frances Ezart b 1763, and an alternative father Francis Ezart
    - her father Francis Ezart (sic) b 1728 Reighton - I add a burial note for Francis Ezart Sept 6 1764 plus an Annn w/o Francis Ezard Sept 29 1769 - not sure if that is the same Ezart/Ezard, there is another burial for a widow Ann Ezard Oct 24 1780
    plus a marriage for Jane Ezard to George Clarkson of Bridlington in 1780
    I don't know how far your research has gone, but thought this might be helpful, I am also not sure where my mother-in-law got her info,
    best wishes
    fromWirral
    George EZARD/CLARKSON/EZARD is the same person. He was born to Jane EZARD in the summer of 1779. After his parents married, he used the surname of his father (CLARKSON) and married under that name in 1798. His first two children are recorded under the surname CLARKSON. However, from about 1804, he used the surname EZARD and his subsequent eight children were all known as EZARD. George EZARD died in 1859. He has many descendants, including me and 'fromWirral' who posted above.

This confusing George EZARD appears in several threads on the forum, including: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ighlight=Ezard and https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...light=clarkson.

I have tried to explain the rigamarole in this page of The EZARD Study, which can be found on WordPress: https://ezardthenameanditshistory.wo...son-conundrum/.

And now I really must get on with doing all the things I should be doing.

Owl

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

And now I really must get on with doing all the things I should be doing.
    Though writing up notes before you lose the piece of paper they're written on is extremely important, so it's good to see you getting your priorities right.

Hope the move goes smoothly.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123