Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thewideeyedowl

Default Arthur

Ah, thank you, Almach - and ponder, I will. Pity it doesn't give his birthplace.
    Right trade, though!

I have this photo of Arthur (cropped here):

He looks so sad. There is no indication of the location or studio, just a handwritten note on the back that says: "Old Uncle Arthur Ezard, 8th July 1919". Perhaps the photo will jog someone's memory out there?

Owl

fromwirral

Default thanks

Dear Owl

Thanks for your warm welcome and the research results that you have published. I am not at home for a couple of weeks and have my info in a file there ! so I will locate it when I can and get back to this thread. I hope it will be a breakthrough for you !

best wishes meanwhile

fromwirral

Quote Originally Posted by thewideeyedowl View Post
    Hi 'From Wirral' and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen - and most particularly from me, another direct descendant of William Ezard 1812-1886.

Is your post a breakthrough I have been waiting for? I have only names of/from some of the line from Arthur Hayhurst EZARD and also two family snaps from the 1950s, which were recently passed to me. The snaps were taken by a descendant of Mary Jane EZARD 1840/41-1881. I have had to do a lot of guessing, I am afraid, but have discovered the lighting shop in West Kirby that bears the Ezard name.

Plus, West Kirby Museum has shown great interest in the Ezard family for two reasons: i) they are researching builders in the area and ii) collating as much info as possible about the WK men who served in WW1. My line ticks both boxes, and I think yours would too.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default 'Bessy' is 'Betsey'

With reference to #1, the name of the second daughter is actually 'Betsey'. Ref: GRO Jan Qtr 1843 Scarborough VolXXIV p491. Betsey married Charles ANAKIN Jnr in 1864. Ref: GRO Mar Qtr 1864 Scarboro Vol 9D p479.

Please refer to this thread for the ANAKINs: https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...090#post608090.

Owl

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Following on from the "Equality" thread, Arthur Ezard, the son of William Ezard married Ellen Coy, the daughter of Thomas Coy, on 13 February 1882 at St Mary, Birkenhead. Both were single and William was 24, no age shown for Ellen.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

It seems that Ellen was 18 when she married. Following a Trades Union theme (carpenters and joiners) there are mentions of an Arthur Ezard as follows: 1915 Darwen, Lancs Age 56, married; 1920 Belfast Age 62, Widower; and 1921 Scarborough, Age 62.
    Peter Nicholl

thewideeyedowl

Default Arthur

Peter - thank you very much for delving away on my behalf. I picked up the post about Ellen just as I was booting down for lunch and have just come back to find that you have spotted some possible Arthurs, too. Wow!

Not sure about the Arthurs, though trade is absolutely right and the ages approximately so. I know - from a photocopy of a transcription from a family bible - that Arthur was born in Filey on 11 June 1857; interestingly, I have not been able to find him on FreeBMD. Admittedly, there are some patches and I have been trying wild cards too, but he does not seem to be there in 1857. You found his correct age at marriage (24) - he turned 25 in the June.

Arthur was a popular name, though, and a search for 'Arthur Ezard' 1855-1865 produces two candidates (but they are not my man) - Arthur Robert Ezard, b 1861, Congleton, and Arthur Ezard, b 1864, York.

The great problem with the handwritten transcription/notes I have been working from is that it is quite chaotic: OK where she has just copied from the bible page, but infuriating elsewhere because of the annotations/arrows/crossings-out. Every claim made there has to be checked and checked again, so Arthur might not have 'gone to Australia' (plus, she had no info on 'Bessy'/Betsey who did go to USA). This 'document' was produced c1980, and my faith in it is fading fast, e.g. it states that Arthur 'did not marry', which has been proved wrong. I think it shows that she only really knew about her own line, which was from Mary Jane Ezard, the oldest of the children in #1).

Incidentally, what was the source for the Arthur/Ellen marriage in your first post here?

Again, thank you for all your help. It is wonderful to have someone new taking an interest in all of this

Owl

Hi Owl, Find My Past has the Cheshire Diocese of Chester parish marriages 1538-1910. It also gives Arthur's address as 144 Cathcart Street and Ellen's as just West Kirby. Arthur's dad is a joiner as is Arthur and Ellen's dad a stonemason? (it's a bit blurred).
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Hi Owl
    Arthur appears in the Cheshire Electoral Register in 1890 at Albert House, Bank Road, West Kirby. But not after that and he is not at that address in the 1891 Census.
    Peter Nicholl

Default The Plot Thickens

Hi Owl
    It looks as though Ellen Coy had a brother, Richard, born February 1872. On 10 July 1890 Richard left England on the Parisian, bound for Quebec/Montreal. With him were his wife Jane (no record of marriage yet) and two children: Four year old Ellen EZARD and Three year old Annie EZARD. There are entries for Annie Ezard born 1887 Wirral, no Ellen, but Elizabeth born1886 West Derby.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Hi Owl, Just looked at the 1891 Canadian Census; Toronto City, District 119, St David's Ward and Annie 4 and ELLEN 6 are living with their Grandparents, Thomas 57 and Jane 57 Coy.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast