Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Settling in

Default Ancestry Information needed

My name is James C. Blake - My Father Helier Blake - Grandfather William Blake, Jersey channel Island Born December 14, 1882 - died in Pensacola, FL Jan. 9, 1958
    William Blake married my Grandmother - Agnes Sweeney on Jersey channel island in the early 1900's. Agnes Sweeney was born on October 15, 1883 - Died Pensacola, FL 10-17-1959
    Mr. Sweeney was the head of the Breesford library.

This is my first time on this so any and all help will be appreciated.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Ten41seven; 12-10-2013 at 3:17 AM. Reason: Add birth and death dates.

Welcome to Brit-Gen Ten41seven

You are in the right place to receive help from our knowledgeable members who can't resist a challenge.

You have been very precise with some dates and names however can you tell us what it is you are wanting help with now?

Perhaps to go back and find William and Agnes' parents, gparents etc? Just so we don't go charging off to look for stuff you already have.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Having asked the questions I am not waiting for the answers.
    I found this and it looks like your family but Agnes is down as age 11 which makes her born 1881 not 1883. Iwonder if she knocked a couple of years off in later years? Many people did.
    1891 RG12 Piece 4695 Folio 134 Page 11
    31 Great Union Road St Helen's
    Edward Sweeney 38 clerk/librarian born St Helen's
    Mary Sweeney 42 wife born Limerick, Ireland
    Edward M Sweeney 15 plumber's apprentice
    John J Sweeney 13 errand boy
    Ellen S Sweeney 12 scholar
    Mary L Sweeney 12
    Agnes N Sweeney 11
    Francis W Sweeney 9
    Elizabeth A Sweeney 28
    Joseph R Sweeney 6
    Kathleen M Sweeney 3
    William J Sweeney 1

All children born St Helens

If this is the right family then others have a base from which to work.

Christanel

ps The National Archives (TNA) site Here gives information relating to BMD's etc for the Channel Islands.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

I am beginning a family tree and want to find as many of my ancestors as possible. I had a lot of information prior to Hurricane ivan on 9/16/2005. My wife and I lost everything due to tornados and flood of 15 feet just washing everything away.
    I remember Agnes Blake, nee Sweeney was married to William Blake at the large Catholic Church in St. Heliers around 1907 (I used to have a copy of their certificate). Agnes was one of twelve children. Two of her brothers had come over to America prior to their marriage and she married William Blake(I believe his fathers name was John). After the marriage William Blake left Jersey and sailed to America and lived in Detriot with one of Agnes's brothers. She followed him over in two years..
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate you help in helping me with all of this.

Settling in

The family you have sent me info on is my Grandma Blake family. The twins Ellen and Mary seals it. She would talk about them a lot. It seems that they were a couple of live wires for that time as they took a trip over to England, without chaperone, which must have been like a sin in those days. This is that segment of my family.
    Again thank you sooo much.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just picked up your post #4 while looking for this link

https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Jerripedia

I can only see 2 WILLIAM BLAME b Jersey circa 1883

1891 CI Census

1) William H BLAKE b St Helier son of Joseph T & Margaret living at 29c Great Union Road St Helier

2) William BLAKE b St Ouen son of William & Victoria living at Gros Bois Farm St Saviour

I must away to get ready for a Charity Ball, hopefully others will come along tonight to assist you

Jx

Settling in

I believe that my grandfather, William Blake's father was John and that his Mother had come to Jersey channel island from Galway, Ireland. It could be that he has a brother named John, I also believe that there were four siblings to him.
    I Think I remember that Pop's Father was a master brick mason and that He, William Blake was an apprentice Carpenter. When he came to America he started out as a master carpenter in Detroit.

Settling in

I believe the Edward Sweeney listed here was the brother that had moved to Detroit prior to Agnes Sweeney & William Blake's marriage. William Blake came across I believe in1910 and lived with Edward until he made enough money for Agnes Sweeney's ticket across. I do know that at least one other also came to Detroit and lived there.

Just a quickie while I drink my coffee!

Your post from 2000 which will hopefully help you to start rebuilding your family tree!

https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-02/0950112973, the event happened in Colomberie which is on Jersey CI

The SWEENEY family can be found at RG12 4695 134 11 Channel Isles census....me I was searching England with the reference, no wonder I couldn't find them!!!!

1920 US census has them WIlliam BLAKE arriving in the US during 1910 & Agnes during 1911, they married in the US, thye may have enter via Ellis Island, www. ellisisland.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast