Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Settling in

This is Grandma Blake. When you look at the ships log she states that she was single. She, for some reason, thought this meant that she was traveling alone. Agnes Sweeney and William Blake were married in the Cathedral in Jersey channel Island, Engand somewhere around 1907 or 8

Settling in

This Sweeney and Blake are my relatives. William Blake, my Grandfather shows his marriage of 4 years which would make their marriage in 1906 in Jersey channel Island, England.
    William Blake and Agnes Blake; nee: Sweeney, had three children. Two born in Detroit, Mi. Marjorie Blake became a school teacher and taught for 54 years in Florida - Never married.
    Helier Blake married Frances Vann and they had five children Mary Jo, William M., James C., Marjorie H., Deborah Ann.
    Gordon Blake married Sylvia and they had four children, Barbara, Robert, Richard, Cynthia. No grandchildren were born to any of these.

Settling in

This certainly sounds like Pop Blake, just I had mixed up his father as I thought he was John and was a plumber. What does the St. Mary, St. Brelade, St Owen's, St. Savior behind the names indicate?
    Thank You
    Jim Blake

Settling in

Grandma always claimed her dob to be the same as mine Oct. 15,1881. Is there any other records to check this out.I sincerely appreciate all of the information.
    Jim

Name well known on Brit-Gen

At least we now know we are guiding you in the right direction with your SWEENEY / BLAKE familt's

Should have stated that the info reference dob etc was from William BLAKE's natyralisation papers online at ancestry.com. He first applied when they were in Detroit finally being successful in 1925 when he lived in Florida. The application is for William and not Agnes. I cannot find documents for her, but as you indicate she wouldn't!!

Poor guy being stuck with name Helier, I had realised something like a name change....

With regard to St Ouen ( prononced when) & St Saviour est check this link out https://chi.genuki.weald.org.uk/jsy/start

The family appear to be RC and are in the category of non conformist religions, the records for the ses are slowly coming on line. One free site that has a lot of info on is www.familysearch.org

Jersey is certqainly worth a visit if you get the chance, particularly in August when the whole Isand takes part in the Battle of the flowers!

Settling in

Thank you ever so much for all of this information on my family over the ocean. My wife and i, about 12 years ago, came to Jersey. We took a trip to London and while there took the red eye down to Wemouth and the ferry over to St. Heliers. Loved it very much. One of the reasons I am doing my research again is that we are planning on another trip and want to come back to Jersey and spend a couple of days to see everything better. I have always wondered if anyone in Jersey were researching and we could supply info to them.
    Again thank You.

Jim Blake

It looks as if your research may take you to Ireland, both Edwards parents born there as was his wife.
    1871 RG10 Piece 5760 Folio 49 Page 10
    Le Greyt Street Cottage no 7
    John Sweeney 40 Engine driver born Tipperary Ireland
    Mary 36 Galway Ireland
    Edward 18 Librarian
    John 17 Tailor
    Frank 13 scholar
    Mary 11scholar
    All children born St Helier

There are 3 public trees on ancestry for this family. None of them seem to be following Agnes though. One of the tree owners lives in Wisconsin. They have Edward's wife's maiden name as Mary Toody but no source listed for this information.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

John is 38 on this census and only age 40 on the 1871. I wonder if he knocked some years off to be closer to his wife's age or whether the enumerator got it wrong and he should be 28. Will have to remember that John's birth date could be 1823 to 1831!
    They have also played around with their children's names. Edward is Edwin in this one and Frank is Francis. Thomas on this census isn't on the 1871 neither is Joseph. Mary's age is 4 on this but only 11 on the next one.

1861RG9 Piece 4399 Folio 11 Page 18
    St. Helier

John Sweeney 38 labourer Ireland
    Mary Sweeney 25 Ireland
    Edwin Sweeney 9
    John Sweeney 6
    Joseph Sweeney 5
    Mary Sweeney 4
    Francis Sweeney 3
    Thomas Sweeney 10 months

All children born St Helier
    William Burroughs

1851 HO107 Piece 2527 Folio 608 Page 28

Catharine Carins 40 Widow
    Ann Carins 12
    James Carins 9
    John Sweeny 20 visitor Tipperary

All born Ireland
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Post Sweeney Family Crest

Where Can i find for FREE Sweeney Family Crest and the story behind it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast