Starting to feel at home

Smile Levi Walker born 1830's yorkshire england

Trying to go back before 1830's with my 2nd g grandfather, Levi walker, i have found him in the 1841 census, he was in prison, at the age of ten, I know he was transported to Australia , aboard the Dudbrook , and arrived in 1853 , i have traced him from western Australia to Victoria, and i know he died in melbourne in 1875.
    On his death certificate it only states his father's name as thomas, no mother's name.
    this has been a brick wall for some years , any help appreciated, thanking you David.

usernick

You probably know this already, but here's something from the 1851 newspaper:

"Levi Walker (20), for feloniously assaulting Robert Binns, at Halifax, and stealing from his person 3s. 6d.—7 years. "

There might be a convict record which *may* state his parents?

Failing that, he *should* be on the 1841 Census somewhere - I'll take a look (which, of course, you've already stated above!) - and it states he wasn't born in Yorkshire...

In which case, there may be a prison record?

Cheers,

Nick

usernick

Have you tried these various sources?

https://www.sro.wa.gov.au/archive-col...onvict-records

If the convict records are anything like the Tasmanian ones (which are online), they sometimes give other members of the family? I found a Great Great Great Uncle and it stated his parents and other members of his family (which was a great help) as well as his birthplace and physical features.

Cheers,

Nick

Waynecw

Hi,

It would appear that Levi Walker may have found himself in the Wakefield House of Correction because he committed Larceny. On the 5th April 1841, Levi Walker aged 10, was tried at the West Riding Sessions in Pontefract, Yorkshire. According to those records he received 1 years imprisonment.

The write-up on the Sessions in the local newspapers is not great. I can not find any particular reference to Levi Walker in either the Sheffield Independent or the Leeds Mercury. The only Walker mentioned is a Joseph Walker who was sentenced for stealing at Sheffield 10 shillings of Copper, the property of Louis Nowells. No age is given for Joseph Walker, but he was sentenced to 7 years transportation.

As suggested by the other forum user, it might be worth researching to see if the Wakefield House of Correction registers still exist. If so, it's most likely they would be in the west Yorkshire archives.

I have had a look at the Levi Walker mentioned in the above post. That Levi Walker (if he is the same one) appeared before the Wakefield Sessions on the 25th August 1851. He was convicted for larceny from the person before convicted of felony, indicated that he had a previous conviction).

Again it might be worth looking for the same records around this date.

Quote Originally Posted by david walker View Post
    Trying to go back before 1830's with my 2nd g grandfather, Levi walker, i have found him in the 1841 census, he was in prison, at the age of ten, I know he was transported to Australia , aboard the Dudbrook , and arrived in 1853 , i have traced him from western Australia to Victoria, and i know he died in melbourne in 1875.
    On his death certificate it only states his father's name as thomas, no mother's name.
    this has been a brick wall for some years , any help appreciated, thanking you David.

usernick

There is a Levy Walker in the 1851 Census (which would be before he was convicted):

Piece: 2298 / Folio: 723 / Page: 31

Address: 28, South Street, Halifax

He's living with his brother, Joseph Walker:

Joseph Walker, Head, Age: 27, Born: Halifax, Occupation: Fruit Seller
    Sarah Ann Walker, Wife, Age: 27, Born: Brighouse
    Levy Walker, Brother, Age: 21, Born: Halifax, Occupation: Fruit Seller

So, that may assist?

Cheers,

Nick

Starting to feel at home

I am still researching Levi Walker, i have found some very good material, here in Victoria, at the Prov, (Public Record office of Victoria),
    i have found his prison record,of 1870 or 1871?, when he was a prisoner , at Pentridge, Victoria. very informative records.