Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martha Hodgson

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    My information is ...
    2. 'MY' Martha came to Victoria 1849, aged 21. Birth Lincolnshire to Jeremiah and Catherine Hodgson...
    But where does this suggestion about Jeremiah in Lincolnshire come from? All the evidence is pointing to Robert in Otley - and see below for even more.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I don't know what is written on Martha Coles' headstone but the records for West Cloven Hills cemetery give her death date as 6 September 1916 and her age as 88, therefore born 1828.

See the record https://home.vicnet.net.au/~marr/WESTCLO.HTM

It also has their daughter's death in London and burial in Otley.

Christanel
    Good find, but you didn't mention that Margaret Ann Atkinson on the same memorial is described as daughter of Robert Hodgson of Otley. And there's more...

The daughter who died in London looks like
    Martha Hodson SYKES aged 29 - Dec qtr 1896, St Giles Reg Dist, 1b 369

The surname comes from her memorial in Otley Cemetery, which would appear to have an inscription something like:

"Martha (Patty) Hodgson Sykes, daughter of Martha and Nicholas Cole of West Clover Hills Victoria Australia and wife of John Sykes of Tasmania"

For more information see https://www.
    gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?available=yes&fullname=Nicholas%2 0Cole&grave=158819&personid=338509&db=158819

This site has two small photos of the memorial, and larger ones are available on request.

Arthur

Hi Dian

Hope you're still around and following this thread.

I've been contacted by a researcher on another forum who has been researching Martha Hodgson daughter of Robert, of Otley for a long time. He's come across this thread and says he can help you a great deal if you're still looking for info on this family.

As you don't have private messaging enabled in your profile, this is the only way I can contact you, so if you now reply to me by private message or email and let me know how I can write to you off list I'll happily tell you more.

Arthur

dian

Hi Arthurk,

Thanks for contacting me re Martha Hodgson. I have tried to add you to my private list but there are lots of Arthurs on the BritGen list but not "Arthurk". I'm hesitant to give my private email or home address here. Perhaps now that I've been sent your email your name will be automatically added to my private list as others have.

The reason for my withdrawal from BritGen over the past 10 months or so is that I was horrified to find that my previous correspondence through Britgen had become freely available to anyone searching through Google. However, BritGen otherwise has been a marvellous site for my searches and I regret its leak of family matters into the cloud.

Dian

The reason for my withdrawal from BritGen over the past 10 months or so is that I was horrified to find that my previous correspondence through Britgen had become freely available to anyone searching through Google. However, BritGen otherwise has been a marvellous site for my searches and I regret its leak of family matters into the cloud.

Dian
    BG's Terms of Service (see link at the bottom of the page) include the following sentence

Be aware that Google and other search engines regularly spider this site, so DO NOT post anything you are not happy for the world to read.
    Countless members have come to BG through finding threads on Google and have been rewarded by finding out a lot more about their relatives. However, our openness to Google Spiders is yet another reason why we do not allow information about living people to be posted.

Rest assured, however, that Private Messages can NEVER be accessed by the Google Spiders, so if you send someone a private message with your e-mail address then only that person, not even the Mods, can read it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi Arthurk,

Thanks for contacting me re Martha Hodgson. I have tried to add you to my private list but there are lots of Arthurs on the BritGen list but not "Arthurk".
    I don't use the friends/buddy list, so I'm not familiar with how it works. However, I must be somewhere in the B-G database or else I wouldn't be logged in now and able to post, but if at some stage I turned something off relating to friends/buddies I suppose that might keep me out of that particular list.

I'm hesitant to give my private email or home address here. Perhaps now that I've been sent your email your name will be automatically added to my private list as others have.
    You are quite right not to give me any personal contact details here. Because I had no other way to get in touch with you, I am writing this on a public forum, and your reply is similarly public. The email you received was not from me personally, but a notification from B-G that the Martha Hodgson thread had been updated with my message. It won't have done anything to enable you to contact me off list.

It's because this is a public forum that I am not giving any details here about the person who has contacted me and is willing to help.

If you click my user name alongside this message you might get an option to send me an email or a private message. Neither of those should be visible to anyone else. If you don't get that option, it may be that you would see it if you temporarily enabled private messaging just for the time it took you to send me your email address for direct off-list communication, and then disabled it again.

Dian
    As Sue has said, this is a public forum which is open to search engines. However, if you are saying that private messages or emails sent through the forum have become available through Google, that is a very serious matter, and one which I would expect the administration team to address with the utmost urgency.

Arthur

We've tested on our own mailboxes, and the private messaging system is private.

Should anyone think that their pms are appearing in public, they should contact someone from Admin or a Mod immediately.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Martha Hodgson was born 5.8.1828 and believed to be daughter of Jeremiah and Catherine Hodgson, farmers Lincolnshire. I do not have confirmed birth parents or marriage details.

My questions are: Was she 'adopted' by fathers brother, Robert Hodgson and wife Stella (Sorlie)? I can't find death certs of parents and marriage of adoptive parents ( I doubt there would be records if relatives 'took care of her') Other info tells she was daughter of a doctor? And who did Martha marry?

There are soooo many Marthas, and Roberts, and Stellas, and Hodgsons in 19th century England I can't find my way through them all. I am hoping the answers about them will give me a link to go forward with my searches.
    hi
    Martha ended up in Australia , she came by the ship Larpent , not Serpent was suggested she married Nicholas Cole a pioneer in the Western District of Victoria , he arrived in 1839, Martha and Nicholas married in 18th March 1854 at Belfast , [ now called Port Fairy] Victoria
    she died at her home West Cloven Hills in 1916 and is buried in the private cemetery on the farm , about 300 meters from the house , Martha was my Great Great Great grand mother
    i hope this helps the people doing this on this page , the one buried in Otley is Nicholas and Martha,s only daughter , she was known as Patty in the family
    Last edited by nicholas Cole; 11-06-2018 at 8:12 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123