Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martha Hodgson

He's listed as Robert Hodson, butcher, Marketplace, Otley in Baines History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, p232. 1822 (Directories collection, Ancestry). Theres's also a Thomas Hodgson, butcher, Marketplace.
    However, they're not on the list in the 1828-29 Pigots. The other Marketplace butchers are the same.
    Also not in the 1834 Pigots. p. 872 (on the pc, 226) but there's a Richard Hodgson of Borough Gate listed under Gentry & Clergy. Richard does not appear in the 1822 Baines.

Wilkes_ml

I'm just curious, but where did the birth date originally come from? Was it a previous researcher who just picked the most likely baptism from the IGI at the time, which is flawed as, if this is what has happened (which is likely as the date of birth is specific) then many parishes of the united Kingdom were not (and still haven't been) transcribed & indexed.

If there is only a rough date of birth to work on (from the age on the passenger list when she emigrated) then there could be several other's born & baptised in the correct time frame.

Did the names of her parents come form a previous researcher, or is there supplementary evidence (i.e. a marriage or death certificate) which names her parents?

The baptisms for all of these children found in the 1841 census are on familysearch.org showing parents Robert and Stella. There is also a bpt for Sholto Douglas Hodgson 1830 and of course Martha parents Robert and Stella.
    Mary Hodgson 15
    Marg Hodgson 14
    Martha Hodgson 12
    Stella Hodgson 9
    Anne Hodgson 3
    Lucy Hodgson 3
    Sarah Hodgson 11 Months
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

The 1851 Census more or less confirms that Robert Hodgson butcher is the same as Robert Hodgson gentleman - see HO107/2329 fo310 p1 for the village of Burton Salmon in the parish of Monk Fryston.

Robert (62, born Otley) is given as a Land Holder (enumerator's note: Farmer); the household also contains his wife Stella (46, born Ilford) and 6 children born in Otley, including Stella.

From what I know of my own family, farmers were often also butchers, and if they happened to own their farms rather than being tenants, it wouldn't have involved very much exaggeration to call themselves gentlemen.

Arthur

dian

Yes, yes, yes! Most of the children you have found are what I have found too. Though Mary and Margaret are a puzzle as not in my records.

My records show Stella did marry John Naylor but did so in 1849, not 1852

I can't find what happened to Martha, and am doubtful her parents are Robert and Stella, even if they were at the same address at census time. I am hoping to confirm that either Jeremiah Hodgson and Catherine MAY have been her parents

The Burton you mention IS Burton Salmon, near Otley.

Also, the census data of 1852 is a problem for me because the Martha I am trying to link is buried at Cloven Hills Cemetery 1916 at the age of 95, and born 1828. She could be a different Martha, but I don't think so.

And, your list does not include the son of Robert and Stella...Sholto Douglas Hodgson b 24.3.1830 d.27.10.1886 ? His whereabouts in his lifetime is also a line I am working on as I feel there is a connection between him and a Martha Hodgson

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    Yes, yes, yes! Most of the children you have found are what I have found too. Though Mary and Margaret are a puzzle as not in my records.

My records show Stella did marry John Naylor but did so in 1849, not 1852
    The Knottingley parish register extract at Ancestry gives the date as 27 April 1852.

I can't find what happened to Martha, and am doubtful her parents are Robert and Stella, even if they were at the same address at census time. I am hoping to confirm that either Jeremiah Hodgson and Catherine MAY have been her parents
    The Martha born 5 Aug 1828 was baptised in Otley on 5 Nov 1828, and the register describes her as daughter of Robert, a butcher, and Stella.

Looking at this family from the outside, as it were, all the evidence so far seems to suggest that Martha was in fact daughter of Robert and Stella, and if you hadn't mentioned it, there would be nothing to link her to Jeremiah and Catherine. So the question is, what evidence do you have that she should be connected to Jeremiah and Catherine instead of Robert and Stella?

The Burton you mention IS Burton Salmon, near Otley.
    It might look "near" from Australia, but in Yorkshire terms, and considering the way places related to each other, there wouldn't really be a strong everyday connection between Burton Salmon and Otley.

Also, the census data of 1852 is a problem for me because the Martha I am trying to link is buried at Cloven Hills Cemetery 1916 at the age of 95, and born 1828. She could be a different Martha, but I don't think so.
    If she was 95 in 1916 then she would have been born in about 1821 - but ages given at death or burial can be rather unreliable. It depends on who provided the information and whether they really knew, or were just guessing.

And, your list does not include the son of Robert and Stella...Sholto Douglas Hodgson b 24.3.1830 d.27.10.1886 ? His whereabouts in his lifetime is also a line I am working on as I feel there is a connection between him and a Martha Hodgson
    Sholto is in the 1851 entry I mentioned before - age 21, born Otley, described as a Druggist.

Hope this further information helps.

Arthur

dian

1. Parish registry info you and Christanel sent approximately matches dates I have except the boy children Sholto Douglas and John aren't on the lists.

My information is ...
    2. 'MY' Martha came to Victoria 1849, aged 21. Birth Lincolnshire to Jeremiah and Catherine Hodgson. So, now I have Martha Hodgson, Martha Cole Hodgson & Martha Hodeson (see earlier posts). The problem I have is that before the 1850's Vic records are mostly non existent and working forwards from any of these Martha's after arrival is difficult.

Information about 'my' Martha came from headstone.

2. Sholto came to Victoria in 1851, aged 21
    John came with his mother and sisters, Annie & Lucy, & Sarah in 1855. Father did not travel.

Burton Hall is where Robert and Stella lived in 1841. I supposed Burton Hall was in Salmon Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    1. Parish registry info you and Christanel sent approximately matches dates I have except the boy children Sholto Douglas and John aren't on the lists.
    From familysearch.org which is free to search

Sholta Douglas Hodgson
    Christened 25 Apr 1830
    Christening Place - Otley York England
    Father's Name - Robert Hodgson
    Mother's Name - Stella

'MY' Martha came to Victoria 1849, aged 21. Birth Lincolnshire to Jeremiah and Catherine Hodgson. So, now I have Martha Hodgson, Martha Cole Hodgson & Martha Hodeson (see earlier posts). The problem I have is that before the 1850's Vic records are mostly non existent and working forwards from any of these Martha's after arrival is difficult.

Information about 'my' Martha came from headstone
    Are you saying that her birth place and parents' names were on her grave stone?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From FreeBMD which are the governments official records. Note the spelling of John's surname.

Marriages Jun 1/4 1852
    Stella Hodgson
    John Nayler
    Registration district - Pontefract vol 9c page 87

So, now I have Martha Hodgson, Martha Cole Hodgson & Martha Hodeson
    As has been said before I think, don't put too much emphasis on the spelling of names, back then they were not as particular as we are now and because most of our ancestors were illiterate they couldn't correct the spelling done by 'officials.'

Christanel
    William Burroughs

In 1841 census (see post #9) Martha and her siblings were in Monk Frystone so this is most likely 'your' John's baptism record also from familysearc.org

John Hodgson
    Christening date - 8 Sep 1842
    Christening place - Monk Frystone York
    Father - Robert Hodgson
    Mother - Stella

Christanel
    William Burroughs

I don't know what is written on Martha Coles' headstone but the records for West Cloven Hills cemetery give her death date as 6 September 1916 and her age as 88, therefore born 1828.

See the record https://home.vicnet.net.au/~marr/WESTCLO.HTM

It also has their daughter's death in London and burial in Otley.

Christanel
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast