Thread: Baptist family

Wilkes_ml

Default Baptist family

OK, a bit of background:

I have two William Dennisons, both living in the same village of Debden Essex, both marrying a woman called Ann. Both were bachelors at the time of their marriage, so I am guessing they were probably cousins!
    One married Ann Marshall in 1752, one married Ann Richardson in 1762.

Between 1752 and 1778 there are 12 children born to William & Ann Dennison. I can (almost) safely assume that the children baptised between 1752 and 1762 belong to William & Ann (nee Marshall).

Now one of the William's very kindly left a will when he died in 1837 (Great! I though, getting all excited!) My hopes were dashed when he left his whole estate to his beloved wife Ann and all his un-named children!

But he did mention his executors being his wife Ann Dennison and her uncle George Chapman (gives me a lead to work out if she is Ann nee Marshall or Ann nee Richardson!)

So...I couldn't find William buried at Debden parish church, and I discovered he was buried in 1837 at the High Street Baptist Church in Saffron Walden. Unfortunately he died 10th March 1837, before civil registration began, and the burial regiter did not give an age, but did say he was a farmer of Debden.

I then discovered Ann was also buried there in 1852, but unfortunately "The Genealogist" only seems to have records for the High Street Baptist Church, Saffron Walden up to 1837.

So my question is, if William & Ann were Baptists then would it be likely that they were Baptists most of their lives, and therefore would their children have been baptised as adults?

And therefore, is it more likely that the 12 children baptised in the parish church of Debden, were all the children of the other William & Ann? (Supported by the fact that not once was there any two children baptised in the same year).

However, I have extracted all Dennison baptisms from Debden Parish registers from 1694-1861 and not come across any adult burials, so maybe I should start looking in Saffron Walden for adult baptisms.

Thoughts & opinions appreciated.

thanks

Wilkes_ml

I think I may even have a different William & Ann, as I found a couple more burials at the Baptist church...one for Emma Dennison who was buried in 1831 aged 10, and therefore born about 1821, daughter of William and Ann Dennison. And another for Sarah Dennison daughter of William & Ann buried at High Street baptist Church, Saffron Walden in 1834, aged 21 years.

That would have been too late to be having children for either of the previous two william & Ann's, then I realised I have third William & Ann having children baptised at Debden from 1813 to 1821. Emma was born November 1821 and Baptised 25th December 1821 at debden, yet buried at the baptist church. sarah was born 9th October 1813 and baptised at Debden 27th December 1813, so I guess William & Ann were late converters.