Thread: hilarious!

horseshoe

Talking hilarious!

I had to laugh when I found this.

We are advised when we look at the census to bear in mind that our ancestors may have used nicknames instead of their first names; well what about a street!! and an enumerator who did not know understand the local humour, I tried looking for the address of my ancestors, which was Ranters Row, what a name, anyway, I was reading up on the local history of the area and found that the locals had nicknamed the street they were living in " Ranters Row" on account of two chapels in the street, all hellfire and damnation no doubt probably not appreciated by people with already difficult lives?.
    This tracing family history is all tears and laughter from one day to the next

At least that is one mystery solved.

Now that would be an address to covet wouldn't it?
    "Where do you live?"
    "11 Ranter's Row"

Oh I think that can go on my list of addresses I wouldn't mind living at. Along with Jingle Street, Rumble Street, ten mile Road and Quiet Woman's Row.
    The best address we thing is St David's Road, Square and Compass.
    Isn't that wonderful?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

horseshoe

AHHH, remember the tenth commandment , thou shalt not " covet" !!.

Shani Saville

I lived in Ponders End in the 1980's.

I wonder who the Ponder-rer was? and when did they give it up? And what was it they found the answer to after all that pondering?