horseshoe

Unhappy sad find but glad I did

I had an unexpected but sad find today while looking for the grave site of my great grandparents, I thought they were buried in a particular place-according to a family story; there is always one.
    I came across a useful survey of graves done by a local history society in 2006, I did not find my grandparents but a great aunt who died at only 18, just when I thought she was doing so well for herself, Edwardian "girl power" an so on!. Another thing I missed was that she was a twin, I did not notice another sister with the same birth year, so sad, a hot cup of tea was called for and duly made.

An interesting thing about the gravestone was that her sister had put a Jewish inscription on the stone ;
    MIZPAH, we are not Jewish??, never were. Also a biblical verse.

I emailed and thanked the group for their work for doing the survey, all 934 pages of it! ,it must have been hard work for them-very dedicated people like this help those of us searching for ancestors.

Starting to feel at home

I have found moments while researching my tree that really have made me stop and think about how fortunate I am, and others that have made me chuckle. That's the joy of the hobby...do you know what happened to the twin?

horseshoe

hello sadlers,

The remaining one, no I do not know , I have only done the male line at the moment. I have yet to subscribe to a site and find the females, I am not sure how to do that as I have only been doing this about a few weeks-learned alot already about the social history, mind that is more my area rather than the genealogy part. I found the deceased lady by accident so I will have to search B.M.D's

Cheers Horseshoe

Hello Horseshoe

It is the unexpected finds that seem to affect me more than those about which I had a little knowledge even if the stories weren't quite true. I discovered that my Dad, who was unofficially adopted in 1911, had an older brother and sister (Dad's parents were married) Both of these children died. My Dad knew of the existence of a much younger brother but not of these siblings. If he had known it may have given him a new perspective on why his mother did what she did.

Christanel

MIZPAH meaning, freely translated, "The Lord watch over us when we are apart" was very popular with Christians and others in Victorian times.

The word was often made into a brooch, and you can still find many examples in antique shops.

Hatshepsut

Hi Horseshoe~~~so sad but at least now she has part of her story told.
    I also found a sad item whilst climbing my hubby's tree. I found out that his maternal grandfather had been married before he emigrated to Australia. His first wife died very soon after child-birth in 1908. The baby girl, Jeanie, was left with her mother's sister while her father moved to Australia to start a new life. His new family out here were never told about Jeanie and the fact she grew to womanhood and died of pneumonia in 1948. So sad as she could have moved to Australia to be with her half sisters and, perhaps, lived a longer life.

horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    MIZPAH meaning, freely translated, "The Lord watch over us when we are apart" was very popular with Christians and others in Victorian times.

The word was often made into a brooch, and you can still find many examples in antique shops.

Yes Daleaway, I found some examples on some antique sites, the jewellery was popular from about 1880-1918, it fell out of favour after the Great War as so many soldiers did not return-faith tested and found wanting, I believe that church attendance in Britain fell by about 17% after 1918.

horseshoe

You know Christanel, I am finding that the reasons for behaviour of our older relatives are now being found by us , at this late stage ;in our researches into our genealogy, and they are now gone and not here to just sit and talk with us about why they did what they did-therein is the sadness for us for sometimes their actions have affected either directly or indirectly our lives or outlook.

I have just acquired a book called "Family Secrets" Living with shame from the Victorians to the present day, by Deborah Cohen.
    I have a lot to do at present, but I will look forward to reading this one eventually which I think will give me a new perspective on this matter.

May the good Lord give all your Ancestors peace of spirit and you peace of mind.

The great granddaughter of the blacksmith

thewideeyedowl

[I]Sunt lacrimae rerum, et mentem mortalia tangunt."[I] Virgil, Aeneid 1, line 462

This, roughly, translates as: "There are tears for things, and human things touch the heart."

So do not judge, just weep.

Wideeyed Owl

horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by thewideeyedowl View Post
    [I]Sunt lacrimae rerum, et mentem mortalia tangunt."[I] Virgil, Aeneid 1, line 462

This, roughly, translates as: "There are tears for things, and human things touch the heart."

So do not judge, just weep.

Wideeyed Owl
    Thankyou for your kind comment little feathered friend, I just have.