CDBlack

Default Zachariah, Jacob born 1862 Southampton

Hello everyone.

I am in Canada and have been at a roadblock for a long time on my mother's paternal grandfather. He used a number of variations of his name during his first 20 or so years in Ontario Canada and ultimately ended with the name John Leslie Jacques. I have found a number of Canadian census records, his marriage license, his death certificate and a few city directory listings but have not been able to find his immigration record that just might confirm his birth name. In census records he is listed as Jake Zachariah, Jacques Zachariah & Zachariah Jacque. He marries in 1901 as Zachariah Jacque but his first two children (born 1903 & 1905) are given the surname Zachariah. The third son (born in 1908) is given the last name Jacques. Toronto city directories list him as Leslie Jacques through the first decade of the 1900s but his death certificate lists him as John Leslie Jacques.

His marriage license lists his parents as Samuel and Esther Jacque and his place of birth as Southampton England. I did a census look up on Ancestry.ca and found a Southampton family with parents by the name of Samuel and Esther Zachariah with a son Jacob whose birth year matches that for my mother's grandfather (1862). As Jake is a nickname for Jacob and Jacques is a pretty close form of the name, I am thinking that my John Leslie Jacques could have started life as Jacob Zachariah.

Are there any suggestions as to how I might find out if my assumptions could be correct? Emigration records from England, newspaper notices? Any help would be appreciated.

Carolyn Black

Free BMD have a Birth Record Index for Jacob Zachariah Dec qtr 1863 Southampton 2c 20. You could buy the certificate of birth for confirmation of parents. The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Pub Robert Boyd has- Death- Samuel Zachariah 25th inst aged 58 03.12.1869 a resident of nearly forty years, a gentleman who filled the the office of President on several occasions. His wife is not named but an address of 41 Bernard St Southampton is given for her home. These references for Samuel Zachariah may or may not refer to the father of Jacob because he looks reasonably old to have a son in 1862/63. Further research needed.
    Phillip

Looking at the Berger record and the census data it looks likely that Jacob you are researching is the son of Samuel and Esther. 1861 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) RG9 676 45 6 - 41 Bernard St Southampton- Samuel Zachariah H M 49 Jeweller b Poland BS; Esther wife 35; Lewis son 4 b Southampton; Fanny dau 3 b Southampton;Rebecca da 2 b Southampton. In 1871 Census (Crown Copyright,TNA) RG10 199 1419 -21 High St Pancras Marylebone- Esther Zachariah H Widow 43 Fancy Goods Dealer b London;Louis son 14 agent for mother b Southampton;Fanny dau 13 b Southampton;Rebecca dau 12 b Southampton;Hannah dau 10 b Southampton; Jacob son 7 b Southampton.
    The Ancestry Com family tree for the family gives Samuel Zachariah 1811-1869 and Esther Meyer 1826-1905 and as you know there are cross references in the records to Jacob/Jacques in Canada.
    Phillip

Further data on Samuel Zachariah- Probate -Samuel Zachariah late of the Town and County of Southampton -Jeweller died 25 Nov 1869 Southamton- Probate - Lewis Zachariah 28 Edgware Rd Middx jeweller the nephew and Abraham Brasch 80 Bishopsgate St Without -City of London jeweller- the executors- Effects under £600
    Anglo Jewish Miscellanies online website Jeffery Maynard- Marriages- On May 3 at the Gt Synagogue Isaac eldest son of Alexander Isaacs of 7 Spital Square to Rebecca second daughter of the late S Zachariah of Southampton- 15 May 1885
    Death- Esther Zachariah Sept 1905 qtr age 79 Brentford 3a 96
    Marriage- Dec qtr 1855 London 1c 268 Samuel Zachariah/Esther Meyer
    The Hampshire Advertiser Sat Nov 27,1869 has the death of Samuel Zachariah - Bernard St Southampton age 58
    Phillip

The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Pub Robert Boyd- Death of Lewis Zachariah Tuesday 11.1.1870 at his residence 28 Edgware Road after a few days illness, of Portsmouth. This data relates to the previous post regarding Lewis being the nephew of Samuel Zachariah. Berger 1871-80 also has reference to the death of Hannah Meyer at 44 Cambridge Gardens Notting Hill 1.10.1875 with reference to her daughters Mrs Zachariah; Mrs Benjamin; Mrs Barras; Mrs Brasch-Hannah Meyer's husband - Jacob Meyer. This data suggests that Hannah and Jacob are the parents of Esther Zachariah nee Meyer but all needs confirming.
    Phillip

Death- Jacob Meyer 9.2.1861 at Southampton in his 81st year, late of London- The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Pub Robert Boyd- Jacob maybe the grandfather of Jacob Zachariah and father of Esther Meyer. Looks as if the Meyer and Zachariah were based both in London and Southampton at various stages.
    Phillip

See- JewishGen -Anglo Jewry Data base 1851- Subject ID 7583 Samuel Zachariah- father- Eleazer Zachariah and Jacob Meyer Subject ID 9030. These records indicate the correct links between the Meyer and Zachariah lines.
    Phillip

CDBlack

Phillip:

Thank you so very much for your excellent responses. I really appreciate you taking the time to research and reply.

Carolyn

Carolyn- I note a difference in data between Cemetery Scribes records and the 1851 Census data on JewishGen for Jacob Meyer. Cemetery Scribes has Jacob Meyer 1781-1861 ID 10593 married to Rebecca Isaacs and Petra Laidlaw on the 1851 Census has Jacob married to Hannah. I have submitted research data to both sites and know how careful they are when researching families but it appears that one of them maybe incorrect. From the various data collated so far I would advise careful checking to confirm the relationships.
    Phillip