Knowledgeable and helpful

Default John ROBERTS in Newfoundland

I would very much appreciate some guidance/assistance with the following.

My great-grandfather John ROBERTS was born in Ruthin, Denbighshire, Wales circa 1838. I don't have his exact date of birth. As his is a common name, there are a number of birth entries, any of which could be him. Unfortunately, his parents names do not appear on any of my existing sources.

However, John married whist serving with the Royal Artillery in British North America between 1867 and 1870.

There is a transcript of the marriage on the Newfoundland's Grand Banks site, as follows:

Presbyterian Parish of St Johns Marriages 1842-1891 (St Johns)
    Oct 12 1867 St Johns ROBERTS John bombardier Royal Artillery BREWIN Sarah (witnesses T. Barrett and A. Barrett)

Is the original marriage entry available to view or obtain (online or otherwise) and, if so, is it likely to state John's father's (and/or mother's) name? This would enable me to narrow the search for his birth and parentage.

Peter

Mary Anne

Peter

If it's a proper transcription, then "what you see is what you get," unfortunately. (and I find the Newfoundland GenWeb ones tend to be very good).

You could write to the archivist at The Rooms and see if they would look at the original or the microfilm for you.
    Archives Reference Inquiries: [email protected], or by snail-mail or phone:
    The Rooms
    9 Bonaventure Avenue
    P.O. Box 1800, Station C
    St. John's, NL, Canada A1C 5P9

Telephone: (709) 757-8000
    Fax: (709) 757-8017
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Mary Anne

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is an army record on line at FMP also available from TNA WO 97, 6 pages that make interesting reading. It mentions the marerieage on 12 October 1867 to Sarah BRAWIN ( sic)

He was born circa 1839 parish of St Peter Ruthin Denbighshire.

I entered his name / country /county and he was the only one that came up for Ruthin.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you Mary Anne, I'll follow up your suggestion.

I have John's full army record, geneius. I guess by 'interesting reading' you mean his decidedly patchy record!

Peter