Wilkes_ml

Default An amazing find! Essex Workhouse?

just browsing through Saffron Walden Essex documents available online, and chanced upon a book called

'Hemp & Sack Book' [and in another hand] 'Spinning Book' dated April 1783 - September 1819 Ref D/B 2/PAR9/4

What it actually appears to be is the inmates production, comings and goings of the workhouse of Saffron Walden . There are pages of moneys made from spinning & cloth made by the inmates, pages divided into 3 columns: names & no. of person in the house, taken out, sent in and on opposite page how much spent on the people in the house.

some interesting gems such as in 1783

in the sent in column: Jno Morrell in the Bridle
    then underneath Jno Morrell broke out the Bridle

Bridle being the gaol I believe

You do find some interesting stuff Michelle.
    I had rather a morbid thought when I read that John Morrell broke out of the bridle. It couldn't have been a type of restraint could it?
    Christanel

Wilkes_ml

lol I did have the same thought. I must admit I was a bit confused at first as he is being sent in, so I'm wondering if the bridle is part of the house? edited to say: being taken out is quite clear...some of them are clearly dead!

I also found another gem "an Irish man by mayor order " !

I was getting a bit bored with births marriages and deaths, and trying to work out how an unmarried, pregnant woman can get carted to a parish where she wasn't born, I've been researching settlement entitlements....it's so confusing.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 22-08-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    lol
    I also found another gem "an Irish man by mayor order " !

I was getting a bit bored with births marriages and deaths, and trying to work out how an unmarried, pregnant woman can get carted to a parish where she wasn't born, I've been researching settlement entitlements....it's so confusing.
    I thought I wandered off down side branches but you are so far down the back lanes you are going to need GPS to get back. But then you will probably be out of satellite range.

Christanel

Wilkes_ml

Well, you never know, you may just stumble across an ancestor while wandering aimlessly down those back lanes!

" April 9th 1792

weaving pair of Harness (not sure what the columns and numbers mean)
    the above being in the loom when
    Mr Dennison went off Overseer have
    been carried to his ? of sacks sold

haven't a clue what it means, but Mr. Dennison was likely to have been one of my Dennisons, either the Reverend John Dennis, or George Dennis/on who I believe may have been John's brother (still working on proving that link)