Geoff.B

Default Mary Ann Franklin

I am quite new to "family historying" but I have established that my great grandfather, Philip Franklin was, according to the "London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906" record, born on March 4th 1831 and baptised on March 17th 1831. In the baptism record of the Parish of St Pancras, Middlesex Philip's mother is named as Mary Ann Franklin, abode "Workhouse". No fathers name is recorded. This suggests to me that (1) Mary Ann was unmarried and her surname was Franklin, (2) she was a widow or (3) she was unmarried and Franklin was Philip's father's surname. I've had no luck searching the 1841 and 1851 census for Philip or Mary Ann. Does anyone know if Workhouse records for the St Pancras Union exist and if so how do I access then?
    Thanks

Hallo Geoff. I have moved your post to Institutions, where it should attract more expert attention.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

gasser

Records for St Pancras are held at the London Metropolitan Archives.... you can read more about the workhouse here:
    https://www.
    workhouses.org.uk/StPancras/
    Good luck

Reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if Workhouse records for the St Pancras Union exist and if so how do I access then?
    Hang on! 1831 would be the old poor law so you don't want the St Pancras Union. Any surviving old poor law records would be filed with the St Pancras parish records. The catalogue is on line. See catalogue reference P90/PAN1.

I don't think they've got any old poor law records on line so you would probably have to visit.

Geoff.B

Hi Peter,
    Thanks. Is the ref P90/PAN1 from the LMA?

gasser

from LMA catalogue search
    SAINT PANCRAS BOARD OF GUARDIANS REF CODE: STPBG SITE LOCATION London Metropolitan Archives
    DATE 1804-1932 SCOPE AND CONTENT: Records of the Saint Pancras Poor Law Union, 1804-1932, including ............................... registers from Saint Pancras Workhouse,...................

Geoff.B

Many thanks gasser, I'll do a search at the LMA, Regards, Geoff