Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Default Decipher parish please?

I'm transcribing Saffron Walden registers for FreeReg, and it is right next to Cambridgeshire so I'm coming up with lots of Cambridgeshire villages.

I'm stuck on this one

Any ideas please?

Could it be Stapleford?
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 14-08-2013 at 8:19 AM. Reason: addition

pippycat

Maybe Stapleford - 10 miles from Saffon Walden

janbooth

Looks like Stapleford to me, too.

Janet

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Looks like Stapleford to me, too.

Janet
    Agreed

Wilkes_ml

Thanks..I thought it was Stapleford but it looks like it is written as Stepleford, so should I write Stepleford or Stapleford in the transcription...the big conundrum when transcribing lol

pippycat

It won't exactly be a case of "transcribing what you see" - but as your not altering anything and its very likely the correct place, go for Stapleford...its what I do!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    It won't exactly be a case of "transcribing what you see" - but as your not altering anything and its very likely the correct place, go for Stapleford...its what I do!
    Thanks. I agree in this case as it really is just secondary information and should be down to the reader to consult the original documentation, and there is no Stepleford in Cambridgeshire!

Wilkes_ml

I wish there was a centralised "out of County database" because I think it would be so useful!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    I wish there was a centralised "out of County database" because I think it would be so useful!
    Michelle, If you mean 'somewhere to post a stray' then don't forget that BG has a strays section which I usually post in.

I also try to remember to send any strays I find to the relevant FHS.
    Cambridgeshire FHS has an active 'strays collector', and although I haven't sent anything to them for a while I've always received an acknowledgement for anything I've sent. Just convert this email address to the standard format - strays at cfhs.org.uk

Pam

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Michelle, If you mean 'somewhere to post a stray' then don't forget that BG has a strays section which I usually post in.

I also try to remember to send any strays I find to the relevant FHS.
    Cambridgeshire FHS has an active 'strays collector', and although I haven't sent anything to them for a while I've always received an acknowledgement for anything I've sent. Just convert this email address to the standard format - strays at cfhs.org.uk

Pam
    Thanks Pam, I'd forgotten the term 'strays' as my mind is going I'll try to remember to send them off. I saw a few London ones when I was looking through West Ham, but they were post 1837 so not so critical.

I really need to contact a few FHS to get hold of a strays list, but I doubt any of my ancestors will be there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast