Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    lazywillie

Default Seeking ancestors of Thomas Ballinger

I am searching for any relations to Thomas Ballinger who was born in Kidderminster Worcester in 1886. So far have seen a copy of his birth showing his mother Emma and also, a Thomas Ballinger in a 1891 Census showing his father as David Ballinger with his brothers James and Benjamin.
    The facts: Thomas Ballinger was born in Kidderminster and he came to Canada where he married my husband's grandmother Sophia in 1911. He passed away in 1970.
    Any help would be duly appreciated!!

Hi lazywillie
    You say you have seen a copy of Thomas' birth certificate with his mother's name on it? Is there no father's name and occupation on it? It is usual for a certificate to show both parent's names with both the mother's married and maiden names given.
    If a father is not named then it is most likely the child is illegitimate but the parents do in some cases marry later.
    Could you give us all the details from the birth certificate?

The 1891 census doesn't show David Ballinger as the father of James 1885, Thomas 1886 and Benjamin 1888. The censuses show the relationship to the Head of household and in this case the head is Ann Ballinger 1823. David is her son born 1847 and he is down as Single not married. The three boys are down as grandsons of Ann. This doesn't mean they are the sons of David even though the transcription on ancestry has him as the father.

I also took a look on FreeBMD for the births of the three boys between 1882 and 1890 with the surname Ballinger and none came up for James anywhere in Worcestershire and only one possible for a Benjamin
    Henry Benjamin Ballinger March 1/4 1888 Kidderminster vol 6c page 236. There are four births for Thomas Ballinger, none in Kidderminster registration district. 1884 Thomas George Tewksbury Dec 1/4, 1886 Thomas George Worcester Dec 1/4 , Thomas Albert 1887 Bromsgrove June 1/4 and Thomas 1890 Ledbury March 1/4.

There is a tree on ancestry which has Thomas' birth date as 26 May 1886. None of these births match that.
    Christanel

Wilkes_ml

Hi. Although you say you have seen a copy of Thomas' birth certificate, I would suggest you get yourself a copy. It will give you useful information like the name and address if the informant which could help pinpoint the family in the 1881 and 1891 census.

Wilkes_ml

I do not know what information Canadian marriage certificates give, but they may give information regarding Thomas' parentage, so I would strongly suggest that you start by sourcing and obtaining his marriage certificate.

I just realised you are in Australia, so maybe someone on here maybe able to help you with details on how to apply for a Canadian marriage certificate.

pippycat

What area of Canada did Thomas go to?

pippycat

I might have answered my own question!

Death cert:

17 Nov 1970 at Prince Rupert General Hospital.
    Thomas John Ballinger
    born: 28 June 1886, Kidderminster, Worcs. England
    In Canada 71 years, Canadian citizenship.
    Carpenter (last worked 1960)
    Wife: Sophie Haundeschild?
    Father: John Thomas Ballinger
    Mother: Emma - maiden name unknown
    (both born England)

Informant: Sophie Ballinger 119-9th Ave East. Prince Rupert
    of 9th Ave East, Prince Rupert BC

Place of burial: Terrace Cemetery. BC
    Cause of death: Cancer Prostate

Rebecca

pippycat

Sophia Alice Haudenschild Ballinger born 7 Dec 1894 and died 28 July 1973 is buried with Thomas:
    Kitsumgallum Pioneer Cemetery, Terrace. BC

Marriage:

16 Dec 1911
    by licence (at Eight Avenue?) Prince Rupert. BC

John Thomas Ballinger
    age 23, a cabinet maker
    born Worcester Co. England
    name of parents: "parents don't remember"

married

Miss Sophie Haundeschild
    age 18, born Washington
    name of parents: Samuel Haundeschild and Alice? Bohner? Haundeschild
    witness: JW Wesen? Miss Wisen?
    all of Prince Rupert. BC
    Groom: Baptist
    Bride: Lutheran.

Wonder what that "don't remember parents" is all about? (strange thing to put on a marriage cert.)

I think this could be the 'grandmother' Ann and her son David mentioned in thread #2 by christanel

1861: 2235 f78 p6
    Bradley Green, Feckenham

Benjamin Ballinger 1821 Dormston? Worcs. Farmer
    wife: Ann 1822 Hanbury
    son: David 1847 Hanbury
    dau: Mary 1849 Hanbury
    son: Mark 1850 Feckenham
    dau: Martha 1851 Feckenham
    dau: Ann 1852 Feckenham
    dau: Edith 1857 Feckenham

- plus 2 more children in 1871
    John 1862 Feckenham
    Elema? 1866 Feckenham

David still with his parents Benjamin and Ann in 1871 at Bradley Green....maybe this is where the grandson Benjamin 1888 got his name.

Rebecca

Wilkes_ml

It is interesting that John Thomas doesn't remember his parent's names at the time of his marriage, so with that information I would take any information regarding his parentage after that date with a pinch of salt. As Sophia registered his death, she may have just made a guess as to what John had told her over the years, and it may not have been correct. Even his date of birth given on his death registration is likely to be wrong, as his age at marriage would suggest a birth year of 1887-1888.

However there is a John Thomas Ballenger birth registered July-Sep Quarter 1886 Kidderminster Ref: 6c 227. Worth sending off for that certificate as it is the only one that fits.

Wilkes_ml

have to laugh at Ancestry transcription..with Ann Ballinger's place of birth in the 1891 census being listed as Deaf, Hanbury!

I am wondering whether Thomas John/John Thomas may have been illegitimate and the mother may have married and changed her name and her son used his step-father's surname in later census. I will keep looking.

Wilkes_ml

I wonder if Benjamin & Ann's Daughter Elena was the mother. Elena sounds like Emma, so it's a possibility. Elena was 5 in 1871 and living with her parents at Feckenham, Worcestershire and brothers David aged 24 and John aged 9. Ref RG10; Piece: 3212; Folio: 91; Page: 5

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast