Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Welshbaba View Post
    I think many just took the *&^% when the enumerators came. It was a jolly good sport and good fun! I read something recently about a prostitute, that would tell him all sorts about how she earned a living, although it was more than obvious by where she lived.
    I even have ancestors that down right porky-pied. Every 10 years they are born somewhere else...you gotta love it!
    To the moderator who edited - I thank you!!

Wilkes_ml

It does make me feel sorry for their descendant who "loses" them in the census. I mean, who on earth would dream of searching for an ancestor under a pseudonym like that...kind of reminds me of another thread...someone just disappears for 20 years.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Just before the 1911 census was released they published various "taster" pages, many of which were illuminating in term of how people thought. Unfortunately they have vanished from the original 1911 site, but some of them were from suffragettes who refused to fill in the census forms, with comments scrawled across it along the lines of "if we are not good enough to vote, then we are not good enough to fill this in". There were also some pretty bolshy men with comments such as "mind your on business".

The 1911 census does have an page with various stats and headlines from the census, which people might find interesting:

https://www.
    1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?r=24&25

What actually has drawn a wry smile from me tonight is the number of topics that equally apply in 2013; such as:

The richest one percent of the population holds approximately 70 percent of the UK’s wealth - I doubt that today's numbers would be very different;
    The Liberal Prime Minister, Herbert Henry Asquith, is head of a minority government - well there's a Liberal deputy PM of a Coalition Govt today
    The Commons vote to pay MPs a salary - today the debate is about how much increase they should have
    The Official Secrets Act is passed - wonder if there was debate about freedom, as we have today every time a new security measure is proposed?
    The Manhood Suffrage bill is proposed, which would give the vote to all men but not to women. The bill does not become law -
    In football, Manchester United win the 1910-11 First Division title (100 years later they won the Premier League, which is the modern equivalent of the First Division, so no change there!)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Do I know you?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The correct spelling is eh? in Canadian. Yes I am Canadian but English by birth and proud of both!!
    I am also Canadian but English by birth. Just read your stream on my parents, grandparents, etc., and was wondering what your relationship is to them. Some of the data/conclusions were not correct. Perhaps I can help. Margaret Blackwell Dixon and Sydney Pitt Tucker were my grandparents on my mother's side; my mother was Agnes Gwendolyn Tucker. She had 2 boys in the UK just as WWII started, I am the 2nd one. We came to Canada right after I was born in 1939.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12